Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
raspberries

Posted by fieldsfunnyfarm z7VA (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 17, 11 at 15:16

Hi..I need all the help I can get on planting and raising Raspberries.Totally new to them.We live near Richmond and will be making jams and selling at the local Farmers Markets.ANY help will be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: raspberries

I live just outside of Richmond and planted one Latham raspberry plant that I purchased from the Lowe's bargain table for $2. I'm originally from Michigan where raspberry plants were easy to grow, in fact they grew wild in my grandma's alley. I've heard that the Richmond area is not a great environment for raspberry bushes, my soil is pretty dry and the constant heat and humidity can cause fungus. I planted mine last summer and babied the small bush with extra water and mulch, 4 berries came to ripeness. I had to put a birdnet over it to stop them from stealing the fruit. This year I'm just going to let nature take it's course with regular watering to see what happens. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: How to grow raspberries

o

Thank you for the help...Now to find some at a decent price.I need to plant quite a few and they can get to be expensive.Our local farm store is really expensive but they are beautiful when they have them.I will be planting blackberries and blueberries too so dread the money outlay.

o

A gentle suggestion. Try posting on the fruit forum. It is a bit more active than here. Also, I sent a PM. Hank

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here