Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which tree to plant in spring?

Posted by bethinvirginia VA (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 1, 12 at 18:58

I am looking to plant a flowering tree on the border between my lawn and my neighbor's for some screening and also flowering. I planted some dwarf burford hollies but I have plenty of space to include a small or large tree as well because I realized I'd like to (eventually) have some screening for part of my deck from the neighbor's deck. The area is full sun. I'd prefer a native plant, like a white dogwood, eastern redbud, and would prefer one that does not have tons of leaves to rake or high maintenance.

I also plan to put in a white dogwood closer to the house, would it look strange to have a matching dogwood?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which tree to plant in spring?

I think a Pink Dogwood, Japanese Cherry or dwarf Crab Apple should all look nice .

o

Serviceberry (Amelanchier) is also a nice native tree that flowers in spring and has berries that the birds adore.

o

You have a lot of choices. Part of it depends where in the state you live. We vary between warm coastal areas and cool mountain areas, which can affect what you might be able to grow. It also depends on just how large of a tree you are looking for.

When I think of screening, I usually turn to evergreens. My favorite natives for this purpose are southern magnolia, American holly, yaupon holly, southern wax myrtle, and red cedar. Rhododendrons and mountain laurels are great if you live in an area where they will grow (I don't).

Non-evergreen natives that might work for you (lower maintenance and have some sort of interesting flowers, bark, or leaves) include bald cypress, river birch, any of the hawthorns, white fringetree, or any of the Viburnums.

Hope this helps!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here