Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
abelia for small front garden?

Posted by RareJoule 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 26, 13 at 22:46

I want to re-landscape the very sad looking front garden I inherited when I bought my townhouse. It's a very small space that runs along the front window. I don't know much at all about gardening and am subject to HOA approval for planting (they're pretty flexible).

I like color so I'm thinking about kaleidescope abelia. What's a good companion? The area gets full sun in the later half of the day; conversely it's shady all morning. What about hellebores? I also liked the idea of grasses but think they'll be too invasive. From what I've read about abelia, I think I could fit 2 comfortably out there. Maybe 3.

Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: abelia for small front garden?

Hi. I just looked up the Abelia you mention because mine is very large and probably too big for a townhouse garden. The kaleidescope sounds as though it is a dwarf version of the shrub, so that could definitely work for you. If you like the idea of grasses, I would look into varieties of Carex (sedge) which are native and not invasive. They are also evergreen and come in a variety of colors from blue to green to orange and yellow. Hellebores might work too, although afternoon sun is hot and can burn some shade loving or tolerant plants. Some varieties of hosta might work, too. They can take much more sun that many people think, but, again, some will burn with that intense afternoon sun. You will need to keep them well watered.

There are lots of perennials that work also for your situation. It sort of depends on how large your garden is going to be. If you are like many here, it may keep growing as the years pass and you find yourself addicted to adding to it! ;)

Check out the hosta forum, the perennials forum, and the cottage garden forum for pictures and ideas. They are much more active than this forum. I hope you discover how much fun gardening is.

Don't know exactly where you are located, but if you are in Northern VA, in a month or so, you will be able to visit the local nurseries for ideas. My favorite is Behnke's in Maryland, but I also like Merrifield and Green Street Gardens in Alexandria. Campbell and Ferrara is also local.

o

Had another thought as I looked out the window-a camellia should like that spot. Mine is laden with buds right now. Can't wait. The ones in the back bloomed most of the winter. It would give you some height also which adds interest. If you don't like camellias, I would try some small tree if you have room.

o

rarejoule, are you still here?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here