Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lyvia_gw

tree choice

lyvia
13 years ago

Hi. I am selecting a small tree to plant in front of a window on my new addition. The kitchen has a prep counter with a large picture window. The floor is a foot below grade. My neighbors are uphill; the close one is maybe six foot higher than me, but the tree should blur their sightline into my kitchen, and yet let filtered light through. It would be cool to have something edible, yet not messy, and it would be cool to have birds to watch. I may well hang birdfeeders there. I'm thinking 20-30 feet tall, so that the bulk of the tree is above the window. The soil is clay, but can be improved, and since my blueberries are doing well there now, maybe a bit acid. It's sort of a hillside, with tulip poplars uphill, so direct sun doesn't come until afternoon in the summer. It's just at the dripline of the poplars, so there is light, but there is also the house shadow. The shape of a crepe myrtle would be perfect, but there's not enough sunlight, and they leaf out so late.

So my candidates so far are a tall amelanchier, juneberry, or a giant dogwood cornus controversa variegata. What do you think? Anything else I should think about?

Comments (3)

Sponsored