Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ncgardner_gw

rain barrels

ncgardner
16 years ago

DOES ANYONE HAVE A GOOD SOURCE FOR RAIN BARRELLS IN THE RICHMOND VA AREA? I SEE THEM ADVERTISED FOR CHEAP PRICES IN NC BUT DON'T HAVE A SOURCE IN RICHMOND. CAN ANYONE HELP. I WANT AN OLD PICKLE OR FOOD BARREL THAT I CAN CONVERT..THANKS

Comments (21)

• paddlehikeva
    16 years ago

I got a few FREE from pepsi bottling company in C'ville about 5 years ago.

• rosietomato
    16 years ago

Go to Clean Virginia Waterways website and click on 'rain barrels' http://www.longwood.edu/cleanva/

They provide workshops to make rain barrels. You make the rain barrel at the workshop all materials provided. I made two last summer for $35/barrel.

• jamoswife
    16 years ago

I was wondering if you could tell me where you see them cheap in NC? I am in NC and can't find them for under 60.00. Thanks so very much!!

• joeyoso
    16 years ago

I always look at construction sites. I got a 125g for free about a month ago. Although it didnt have a cap, but I was more than happy to take it off their hands!

Good luck

• herwitsend
    16 years ago

I called Pepsi yesterday and they said they can no longer sell barrels for "liability" reasons.

• joeyoso
    16 years ago

I would also try some of the local car wash places. BTW, I collected about 80 gallons this past Saturday night from the rain we had in Montclair, Va. How exciting is that!!!!

• stcre
    16 years ago

I got mine at Pleasants Hardware on Ridge Road. Its 60 gal with screen lid and spout. Green

• ponderosaq
    16 years ago

I use heavy duty garbage cans for the job. In fact I even line old leaky ones with a heavy duty trash bag. You can cut a hole in the top, cover it with some screening and then put it upside down on the can so the water is "funneled" in if you want it clear. I have linked 4 of these with piping so when the first one is full the next one fills. Like you I couldn't find any barrels free or cheaply anywhere.
    PQ

• tbt3
    15 years ago

I just recently made my own. I am cheap so the thought of paying $150-$200 for a premade one drove me nuts. I had a hard time finding them. I called Pepsi--can't sell them anymore. Called Coke--they never returned my call. Called Ukrops--they don't get many and they use them themselves for other stuff. I finally hit paydirt at the carwash. I called the Car Pool on W. Broad and they were very helpful. I got it for free. You will have to call ahead and find out when they will be available so you know when to pick them up. Mine was used for glass cleaner, but I rinsed it out a lot.

The one I got has a sealed "lid" that has threaded holes in it. If you get the right size PVC and adapters, you don't even have to cut the hold for your spigot--just get the right PVC size to screw into the holes, find the necessary PVC adpaters till you get down to the spigot size and voila!! You will of course have to cut a hole in the other end to drain your downspout into. Cost me about $20-$30 at Lowes for the assorted hardware. Don't forget mosquito dunks or some screen or you will regret it.

Good luck,
    TBT

• rjukic_comcast_net
    15 years ago

I've done tons of research finding the best price and didn't feel like making my own so I just ordered my rain barrels from: http://epcontainers.net. I got the 50 Gal drums with all the attachments, because the shipping was much less on the 50 Gal than the 55 gal. I hope to have them within 7 days.

Here is a link that might be useful: Try buying Rain Barrel here

• Vanessa 8a
    15 years ago

tbt3 I would love to see a picture of your set up if possible?

• tbt3
    15 years ago

My camera is busted. I am sending it back, but it might be a few weeks. I can try and borrow a neighbor's. I will see what I can do, but I can't make any promises

TBT

• reaganoh
    15 years ago

Another place I'd suggest checking is your local brewery. I called up a place here in Ohio and asked them if they get their malt extract in 55-gallon plastic barrels; they do, but didn't have any on hand at that time. They did have four barrels that had contained wine starter, and gave them to me for free!

I've cleaned them up and I just need to get the hardware so that I can hook them up to the downspout. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Vanessa 8a
    15 years ago

I use to live in Richmond and Car Pool was right near me. I can't seem to find any Free rain barrels here in the Hampton Roads area. Anyone out there have any luck??

Vanessa

• cmchwms
    15 years ago

I just called one of the local Pleasants Hardware stores and sme of the stores do carry them and others will order you one. It sounds like they are 60 gallon black for 119.99

If you have an Entertainment book or other source, you may be able to get a coupon for Ace Hardware/Pleasants to save even more$.

Hope this helps.

We're going to get one tomorrow unless I find a less expensive local source before that!
    Colleen

Here is a link that might be useful: Pleasants Hardware Locations

• rj_hythloday
    15 years ago

These have been listed for a while.

Here is a link that might be useful: Craigslisting

• cful
    15 years ago

I've gotten 12 of them right here in Norfolk. Maybe 11. First batch was 15.00 next batch was 20, he got greedy. Found them on craigslist.com. Don't see them listed today but he gets them off and on. I do know he's getting them from the Pet Milk dairy in Portsmouth. He works there. Liability is covered by him saying you can't drink out of them. But safe for gardens. They are food grade and either a mix or non toxic cleaner is what's been in them. It's costing them a bundle to get rid of them. I have them piped together with plastic tubing and top cut out of only one or two with screen. Using plastic faucet arrangement at present but want to incorporate them into my drip feeder system. I've filled all of them on almost every rain we've had lately. Had to make an overflow system to carry water away from the house.

• cful
    15 years ago

If you're in NC, this is a real good price for the closed top barrels. Some of those will have a two piece lid which allows placing a piece of plastic screen over the opening and screwing the ring back on to hold it. Something like an old canning jar lid... good luck. http://eastnc.craigslist.org/grd/779832137.html

• barrelresources_aol_com
    13 years ago

I have an unlimited supply of barrels for making rain barrels, very afordable. www.barrelresources.com or call 804-426-8557

• s.hamptongardener
    13 years ago

In Hampton Roads go to Bock Drum in Norfolk. They no longer carry olive drums (the two part lids). They told me the olive drums get shipped back to the Med for reused. They do carry syrup drum (1 piece with two bungs on the top, food grade, 55 gal) for $11/each. We picked up four white drums mid Feb. Call before you go, their hours are odd.

• gardener_sandy
    13 years ago

The Chesterfield County (Virginia) Master Gardeners will have several rain barrel workshops this year. There is a charge for the workshops to cover the cost of the materials. For a ready to use rain barrel, it's not bad at all when compared to purchasing one ready made.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chesterfield seminars and workshops

Sponsored