Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
klashnikovromanov

Papaver Somniferum- what season?

KlashnikovRomanov
10 years ago

Hey forum! I'm fairly new to this site, so correct me if I'm wrong for posting this in an improper forum, but I have a question that's been eating at me for a while, and I've heard a few opposing views on it.

So I've tried growing papaver somniferum a couple times, I'm a history nerd/buff, and I've been fascinated with growing certain plants that have contributed to/caused such a stir in civilizations (corn, poppies, etc) The fact that the plant that literally started wars is attainable in everyday gardening shops is amazing.

Anyway, in my previous tries I've done as much as I can with the information that I had. Tried to prepare a slightly acidic loamy soil that offers good drainage, not watering profusely, etc. and they've all died shortly after they sprouted. I'm thinking I'm definitely getting the season wrong. To the best of my knowledge I'm growing in zone 7, and I've heard two different seasons that poppies do well in. I've heard planting at the end of the winter, after the last frost works, and I've heard before the winter in September, and they either grow during the winter or they start sprouting after the last frost?

so tl;dr, I need some pointers on the best time of year to plant, and any other pointers for growing the healthiest poppies! Thanks!

Comment (1)

Sponsored