Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cheap mulch near Centreville? (not from landfill)

Posted by rlymburner VA (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 26, 07 at 8:49

I've put down landfill mulch the last 2-3 years and its worked well but the appearance is subpar. I'd like to put down some nice dark double-shredded stuff this year. Suggestions on where to get either a truckload delivered or somewhere nearby where I can run out in my pickup.

I have no idea how much I need, if I'd have to guess, I'd say ~80 bags.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cheap mulch near Centreville? (not from landfill)

Check out www.fairfaxcounty.gov, I remember seeing something that links you to free mulch.

o

I have been using the free mulch from both Loudoun and Fairfax counties. Last year I had my house on the market so I figured that I would get a load of "good looking" mulch so I got a few yards from Sterling Ground Covers. Sure it did not have the bits of trash that the county mulch is know for, but it really did not look much different.

There are a handful of garden centers on Route 50 west of 28 and I suspect that most of them sell bulk mulch. I know that Meadows Farms does. I know that Merrifield Garden Center sells bulk mulch. The current price at Sterling Ground Covers is $20.50 per yard (equals nine 3 cu ft bags). I just checked the current Meadows Farms ad and it lists hardwood mulch for $19.99 per yard.

- Brent

o

Hello,

I got just the thing for you. If you head south through Manassas to the Prince William Co. parkway, you will go about 2 miles and come to Davis ford Road. Turn left (there is no right) and go about 4 miles. You are heading toward the bottom of Clifton. On the right you will see a parking lot full of huge piles of the best mulch you could possibly ever buy. ALL FOR FREE.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here