Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hanovertomato

Food Lion $13.99 fruit trees

hanovertomato
15 years ago

So.. Food Lion is selling fruit trees for $13.99 each. I know I saw Macintosh apples, Keiffer pears, and peaches (Reliant..maybe? I can't remember) among others. Have they always sold them and I just haven't paid attention before?

The ones I saw are much larger than the bare root trees I've ordered online, and less expensive. These are 6 feet tall or so, with root balls a little larger than a soccer ball. I'm new to fruit trees, but have read that the younger trees are actually better for planting- so I'm hesitant.

What do y'all think? Are they worth buying? I was thinking of getting one of the apples, one of the pears and a peach tree (I have pollinators already for the Macintosh and Keiffer). Thanks for any advice.

Comments (6)

• spencersmom
    15 years ago

WOW! Have they offered these in the past? It's amazing how inventory varies from store to store. Those would not sell at the FL near me. In fact, I don't even buy fruit there to be honest. Well, for $13.99 what can it hurt?

Is there an on-duty florist you can ask? Yeah, our FL doesn't have one of those... or flowers. Blah.

• hanovertomato
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Spencersmom- I was surprised to see them too. I know they have them in several stores in Richmond (located outside, by the entrances), and also in Charlottesville.

Nope, no florist inside. No seeds, no plants, no other gardening stuff for sale. Just random fruit trees and some other varied trees. It's odd.

One Dollar Tree store here had veggie and flower seeds 10/$1 and had plenty, and another had them 4/$1 and couldn't keep them in stock. Strange how stuff like that can vary so much from one neighborhood to another.

• tazebell
    15 years ago

They have them here in Tazewell and compare to the more generic varieties you find at Magic Mart, WalMart, Lowes, etc. If they look healthy, go for it - just make sure that if you are buying a variety that requires a pollinator that you get one. Nobody at the store will be able to answer questions, and I don't know if they have a warranty, but sometimes you have to take what you can get. Some people don't realize that there are towns that don't have nurseries or access to bigger stores. If it makes you happy get it! I do! I found a dwarf North Star Cherry tree at Magic Mart that is a beautiful little thing.

• artu
    15 years ago

$13.00?? dude buy the thing..if you know what variety you are buying and its labeled go for it..most of these mail order crappy retailer tell you to buy their scrawney sickly plants and you will overpay for them.a lot of mail order compaies like the imfamous tyty will give you a substitute variety and wont even inform you,and forget about a refund .look around your local markets first..check if they can order you what u want..if there is no other way then order mail order for hard to get items..be careful..i would buy during cooler months and plant it.. never in the dead of summer they probably wont survive.

• gypsysunrise
    15 years ago

I seen them outside our Food Lion, here in Richlands. I thought about getting one.. Not a bad price, but I am wondering as to whether they offer a guarantee. If not, I will probably stick with Walmart or Lowes, as they both offer a 1 year replacement.

• Annie Rooney
    5 years ago

No one is addressing trees treated with Neonicotinoids. These are systemic insecticides and are one of those which are devastating bee colonies. This chemical stays active in all parts of the tree (including pollen) for 2 years. If the trees are not labeled as organic or that this type of treatment has NOT been applied, it probably has. No bees, no tasty fruit! Not so cheap now. Think long and hard before you buy any plant that is not labeled organic. Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, Target, Tractor Supply and Southern States are all big name stores who carry assorted plants, including fruit trees, at their stores. Lowes has stated they will label and so has Home Depot. Otherwise, stick to organic nurseries. Do you really want to contribute to wiping out the bees? FYI, this is all bees: honeybees, bumble bees, mason bees, any and all.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living