Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coolbrze_gw

VA evergreen hedge ?

coolbrze
17 years ago

I'm thinking of planting an evergreen hedge around my dog kennels for wind protection and privacy. I'm considering evergreens b/c they'll keep their leaves year round and don't shed much. I'm thinking something along the lines of Leland Cypress, American Arborvitae Evergreen Hedge, or Evergreen Canadian Hemlock. I don't want a 30' tall plant, something that gets around 10-15' would be ideal, but at the same time, not too bushy. The soil is semi-fertile and the kennels are in a mostly shaded area. What do you recommend?

Comments (8)

• Brent_In_NoVA
    17 years ago

I have to admit that conifers are something that I have not quite figured out for my Virginia garden. I do know that if you are looking for a 15' tall screen, avoid Leland Cypress or Canadian Hemlock as they both will mature to 40 to 60' trees. There are a number of Arborvitae varieties that will fit your needs, though it might depend somewhat on how much shade you are talking about. Yews are another tough conifer. Japanese Hollies are a tough broadleaf evergreen that will top out near 10' (maybe Ilex crenata 'Steeds').

Are these kennels there for the long term? I would hate so see you spend your time an money developing a plant screen only to have it mature just when you take down the kennels. Have you though about something like a wooden fence?

- Brent

• collectordi
    17 years ago

Yews are poisonous. I'm afraid to plant them in my yard because I have a dog who'll eat anything.

• shadygrove
    17 years ago

No Leyland cypress, no, no, no. They won't do well in the shade, but if they did, you wouldn't be able to find the kennel in about five years. The shade is a problem as far as evergreens goes--I'm wrestling with this now. You could get a little more light in there and plant the arborvitae, otherwise, for heavy shade, I've concluded that yews are about it. Not really an answer for you, sorry--I'm thinking fence, too.

• Brent_In_NoVA
    17 years ago

Here is a link to a thread that I have printed out and referenced often about evergreens for the Mid-Atlantic: Favorite Evergreens for the Mid-Atlantic

If you don't need a full 10' then Prunus laurocerasus 'Schipkaensis' might be a plant to look into. I don't know how much area you have to fill or would type of budget you have. I have seen good sized specimens of this plant at Meadows Farms in the $30 range. There are likely some Holly (Ilex) species/cultivars other than Ilex crenata that would fit your needs.

Here is a link to a decent page on the Merrifield Garden Center website: Shrubs for Shady Areas

- Brent

• Bigirvsmrs_gmail_com
    15 years ago

I just bought the Privet Hedge for my yard. 20 for $9.95 or something like that.

Here is a link that might be useful: Direct Gardening

• guardenman
    15 years ago

THere are lots of really nice broad leaf evergreens. Camellias are really pretty. Mountain laurel does very well in the shade. Both of those will provide your screen without taking over the kennel, and evicting the dog.

• tazebell
    14 years ago

I live very close to a busy highway. The logging trucks rattle the windows if that gives you a clue. I moved back here and want to put something up but don't know what. I don't want it to look like a prison compound but would like some privacy. Would a fence be a better choice financially? I know there is no way to stop the noise. I did see some tree form ligustrum that are really pretty. They are multistemmed and limbed up but pricey and would only work on a corner. I need something across the front yard. There are a couple of big old maples and a hemlock that is too tall to screen anything at eye level. Side note, winter time salt will be an issue cause the highway department plows thru here throwing snow and chemicals in the yard. Thanks for you imput!

Sponsored