Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mastiffhoo

anyone know where in williamsburg to buy palms?

mastiffhoo
16 years ago

if so, what selection do they have? thanks!

Comments (7)

• markmcb
    16 years ago

The Williamsburg Pottery is probably the only place. I too live in Wmsbg, and I love the nursery at the pottery.Aaron, the manager, likes tropical plants and probably stocks more than any other nursery that I have seen in this area.

• lnscapr
    16 years ago

I am a landscape designer in Williamsburg... Palms are not hardy here in Williamsburg except for Windmill palms that may survive our winters. Bennett's Creek Nursery may have one or two of these.....but it is a wholesale facility and only sells to professionals. Your landscaper may be able to help you here.

• douginmetrodc
    16 years ago

Hello! Well, lnscapr, you may want to rethink that hardiness statement. Here in Alexandria I can grow, in addition to Trachycarpus fortunei (Chinese windmill palm), a host of hardy palm species. These include Butia capitata (Jelly or Pindo palm--hardy to 12 F & sometimes need protection), Rhapidophyllum hystrix (Needle palm--hardy to 0 F), Sabal minor (Dwarf Palmetto--hardy to about 5 F), and there are others that tolerate significant levels of frost, including a Mexican Fan Palm, European Fan Palm, Palmetto, and others.

A good source of information about palms hardy through zone 7 can be found on the Hardy Palm and Subtropicals board:
    http://members3.boardhost.com/HardyPalm/

I know people in southeast Virginia who can grow Canary Island Date Palms in a nice sandy soil!

Enjoy your palms! I'm growing some from seed this year....should be fun.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hardy Palm and Subtropicals Board

• douginmetrodc
    16 years ago

There are two palm growers very active on the Hardy Palm and Subtropical board who can help you with palms in VA. One is Gary in New Bern, NC (Google Gary's Nursery) and the other is Sean of the Chilly Palm Tree Co. in York, SC. Google either of them and you'll find their sites. They are both knowledgeable and excellent sources!

• divahethr
    15 years ago

I was at the pottery 2-3 weeks ago they had windmill, pindos and some sabal palmettos. Prices were starting at 29.99 and larger ones were 69.99 or there abouts my mind doesn't remember lol. Alot more reasonably priced than nurseries. 4 years ago I bought a washingtonia robusta from the pottery for 19.99 it's in my front yard doing well. I remember it didn't have a price on it and I kept thinking this is going to be high but it wasn't. I also picked up a 3 gal bambusa vulgaris vittata marked 39.99 which he let me have for 19.99 at the same time. You never know what you are going to find there. I mentioned in this forum how much I loved the pottery for plants awhile back and I was spit on because I guess the place has scale and such blah blah. If you live close it wouldn't hurt to check it out. Hope this helps.

• markmcb
    15 years ago

This year the Pottery has really raised their prices.The person in charge and doing the ordering (Aaron) has recently left.The Pottery still has a good selection, but a good many tropical-like plants I used to get there, were not available this year.And as I said, their prices have really, really risen.

• divahethr
    15 years ago

Not in Williamsburg but I went to Norfolk Botanical Gardens Sale today and they had Sabal Louisianna, Brazoria Palm, Butia Yatay, another Butia/Pindo, Green Mazari and Silver Mazari palms, Trachycarpus Takil and Wagneriananus. Small sizes about 8 inches high $8 and a little bigger were $15. You can't beat it about an hours drive from WB. You won't see these palms at any local nurseries around here. Sale still going on tomorrow May 11. Forgive the spelling