Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daveainva

Pea planting guides?

daveainva
15 years ago

Someone told me that one should plant peas when the maple buds fall. Another said that planting (Harrisonburg) on the third of 3 60 degree days after the 10th of March is the key. Anyone have a "sure" guide to getting peas up fast? Do you sprout them or plant them directly?

Comments (8)

• bart1
    15 years ago

An old timer near me told me he does onions, potatoes and peas around St. Patrick's day. Last year I put mine in around April 11 and I got a decent crop before it got too hot. This year (if I have time), I'm going to try to plant some every week until mid April starting this coming weekend if it dries up enough.

One trick I learned to get them to come up is to soak them in water overnight. I've also been dusting them with innoculant just before planting.

Bart

• daveainva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What I am looking for is a general guide (like maple buds falling) that indicates air/ground conditions are getting to the right place. The website listed below shows working toward locating some of these guides. Maybe forsythia in full bloom (the one at the street corner nearby is in full bloom, but not the one at the end of my garden which is heavily mulched) is an indicator.

Here is a link that might be useful: Phenology Project

• bobbic
    15 years ago

I planted peas two weekends ago and they were sprouting on Sunday, so I know that they could already be in. Last fall was the first time I tried peas and I got a great crop, based on people on this forum letting me know it was time :)

• rwk_nova
    15 years ago

I'm not sure about a general guide other than 'days before or after average frost date' to plant. Below is a planting guide for our region from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange located in Mineral, VA.

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern Exposure Seed Exchange Planting Guide

• daveainva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

rwk nova: The link to Southern Exposure's .pdf for planting dates did not work. Also, I couldn't find a planting dates guide on their website!

I am looking for observable changes in plants, etc. that are useful in deciding when peas should be planted, such as the "when the red maple buds fall." Thank you.

• rwk_nova
    15 years ago

The Southern Exchange website may have been down for a bit because I just clicked the link on my post and it worked. You can also get to the guide from the homepage of their website. The link is under the picture of their catalog and says "recommended planting dates on-line".

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern Exposure Seed Exchange Website

• daveainva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, it looks like maple buds and forsythia are good guides. The peas planted (Mar 17) about a week after the forsythia and maple buds opened came up by Mar 28. When the (red) maple buds fall would be a safe time. It is also about time the crocus declined and the daffodils (large trumpet/mid-season) were in full bloom.

• subyz
    14 years ago

Out of ignorance, I just planted a row of peas one nice warm day back in February here in Tidewter VA! They started to come up a bit before we took off for Texas for a month. I expected to be picking peas about the time we got home mid- March but they had barely made any progress at all during those 5 or 6 (cold) weeks. HOWEVER, they are blooming and looking great right now! I expect I'll have peas in a week or so. I just read something somewhere else about 'winter sowing' and guess that's what I did. The poster was saying nature would work on her schedule and I guess I can vouch for that!

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022