Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunny631

please help me get rid of these

sunny631
15 years ago

About a month ago my small sedum was attacked and eaten alive by scale. I have never seen them before so I did some online research and that's what it was. Scale. At first I thought it was spots until they moved. Needless to say I had to rip up my sedum and plan to get another one and have plans to plant a bunch of seedlings in the next few weeks. Will they go after those too? Or do they just like succulent plants? My new bed is only about 3 feet from where the buggers were. What can I do to make sure they leave my garden alone? And why would they come so early in the year and not bother with the plant when it was planted last Oct. Which was not cold here.

For those of you who don't know what it looks like I will show you.{{gwi:1324227}}

Thanks for any help or advice.

Comments (9)

• taxonomist
    15 years ago

To eradicate many types of scale as well as mealybugs, etc.,I find that a solution of isopropyl alcohol in water(2:1) with a few drops of dishwashing detergent and a few more of Malathion will do the trick. A second application probably will be needed. The old stand-by VOLCK also does a fine job. Good Luck!!!

• gardener_sandy
    15 years ago

First you need to identify the specific scale since there are many different ones. If you know that, then you need to know when they are in the "crawler" stage, that means they are not protected by a waxy coating and can be killed by the appropriate insecticide. Your extension office can help with the ID and recommend the proper treatment.

As taxonomist said, good luck. I've never had scale on sedum before.

Sandy

• sunny631
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks guys. I'll try anything now that I know how fast they can kill something. I mean my sedum was just sitting there waiting for spring being a good little plant and in a matter of 2 days it was yellow and dead. I ripped it up and stomped and cursed at those bugs. I'm sure that helped.
    Literally, I jumped up and down on them then drowned them with the hose. I hadn't even gotten a chance to see it in bloom yet.

• summerstar
    15 years ago

Oh I feel SOOOOOO bad in hearing your experience. It's maddening when that happens. I've been there! I'm going to head outside the first thing tomorrow morning and check my sedum out. Call a good garden center and talk to someone over the phone. They usually have capable people on staff who can suggest a number of things. The folks who posted here seem to have some good ideas.

Best of luck in getting rid of these EVIL bugs. They're all from the pit of hell I tell you!

• DWA in AZ Sunset zone 12
    15 years ago

Thanks for posting this. My sedum gets chewed up every year, and I've never identified the pest. When you look up sedum, any book states they are not bothered by pests...Now I know what to look for.

Good luck with your new batch of sedum!

• sunny631
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I know that's exactly why I got it. Well, that and it was on clearance. I think I am gonna skip the sedum thing. As much as I want another with my first real flower bed in the works, I imagine I will have a whole new set of bug problems to worry about. The scale I had didn't quite look like that picture. They looked like tiny little black dots. It was just such a strange time of year to have pests....

• guardenman
    15 years ago

I think the most effective method to eradicate scale is a flame thrower. Of course I doubt the sedum would survive, but it feels good. Besides yanking em out, stomping on them, then drowning the little buggers, didn't do much good either.

• dottie_in_charlotte
    14 years ago

If scale are suckers, I should think a systemic, watered in well would be more effective and could be used as a preventative in the late winter/early spring.
    (sorry..I got bored over in my own forum and went moseying around here)

• DWA in AZ Sunset zone 12
    14 years ago

I found out mine were being chewed up by slugs. Not as bad as scale, but another daily task to add to the list...

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor