Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Richmond- Where can i get free compost/horse manure?

Posted by purilisa va (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 12, 09 at 20:18

Hello,

Please let me know, where I can get free compost/horse manure?

I have been able to acquire excellent mulch(free) part of it has been cooking all winter. Henrico service areas have huge quantities of mulch(ground leaves and wood bark. I have had to make several trip accompanied with muscles ache to get these but its worth it. So if anyone's looking for this mulch you know where to find it.

Also, if you know of a place where I can get free wood pallet, wood for raised beds(that someone wants to get rid of) please let me know, i would appreciate it very much.

A new Gardener,

Lisa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Richmond- Where can i get free compost/horse manure?

Check the yellow pages phone book under horses and try calling breeders or trainers. Many places are glad for you to take it off their hands if you will pick it up. Others may even deliver for a price.

For pallets, try calling some hardware stores or plumbing supply businesses. Some have them free for the taking.

Sandy

o

Also try craigslist.org - I see postings under the "free" tab quite often for people looking to get ride of scrap wood.

Also, I don't know if there is a livestock market near you, but you might check them out for the manure. The livestock market in Orange will load your pickup truck or trailer with all the poop it can hold for only $10. I know it's not free, but it's quite cheap.

Good luck with the gardening!

~ Christine :)

o

Thank you Sandy and Christine, I appreciate any and all tips:) If you come across anything that says "free" that could help a garden, please please let me know.

A Thrify gardener

Lisa:)

o

Lisa-

About the wood for raised beds, I'm in the planning stages on my new beds too. A guy on craigslist is selling railroad ties for $8 each. (avg dimensions 9 foot long, 9 inches wide, 7 inches tall) I'm a little iffy on using them for edible plants, since they were treated with creasote, but if he's got some older/weathered ones (so most of the chemicals would have leached out a long time ago), I think that's my plan!

Hanover County dumps also do the free mulch thing.

Anybody know where to get inexpensive wire for putting under my raised beds to keep the moles out?

o

The trouble with railroad ties is that they're treated with chemicals you don't want leaching into your plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here