Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hampton Roads!! Hellooooo.....

Posted by nina_lee 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 12, 10 at 23:29

I live in Great Bridge and this is my first year really gardening. I plan to do a raised bed, with a version of Mel's Mix. My main question is.. can I start all of these from seeds outdoors? I keep hearing late April! Or do some of these really require that I start them indoors and later transplant?? PLEASE HELP

tomato
cucumber
onion
bell pepper
jalapeno pepper

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hampton Roads!! Hellooooo.....

The cucumbers can be started outdoors a couple of weeks after your last average frost date. They actually do better that way because they really don't like to have their roots disturbed by transplanting them.

The onion seeds can be started outside now for green onions. If you want full sized onions, then you need to start from onion sets (small onions that were grown from seed last year.)

The tomatoes and peppers CAN be started outside in the ground but they will be very late producing anything for you. You can do "winter sowing" (see the forum here for that) or you can put the seeds in the ground after the last frost date. They will be a little earlier with winter sowing because the mix they're planted in is usually a bit warmer than the ground so they will germinate sooner than those put directly in he garden. The best way for tomatoes and peppers is to grow them inside with plenty of light and transplant them to the garden after last frost.

Confusing? Yes, but each plant has likes and dislikes depending in large part on where they grow in the wild. Tomatoes and peppers are tropical plants that require warm weather and suffer badly or die from cold.

Hope this helps.

Sandy

o
RE: Hampton Roads!! Hellooooo.....

Thanks for you help!! That's exactly what I was looking for! Now I am motivated to start inside for a few veggies!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here