Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need to protect hydrangeas?

Posted by yankee_in_va z7 VA (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 26, 06 at 8:23

I'm thinking about adding a hydrangea or two to my landscape here in the Richmond area. Do I need to protect these in the winter with wraps or something else? Does it depend on the hyrdangea variety I choose? If I need to do lots of winter protection, I will probably go for something else. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need to protect hydrangeas?

• Posted by tbt3 z7VA (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 26, 06 at 12:09

As best as I understand it, if it blooms on "new wood" it should be ok. I put in an "Endless Summer" variety last fall and it dies to the ground, but has come back with vigor and has lots of buds on it. One piece of advice: whatever you get, make sure you water it very well the first year. It really drinks up the water

Good luck
TBT

o

Mine (mopheads) do fine in NoVA, so yours should be fine with no assistance in Richmond.

o

I wish I knew what variety mine were then I could tell you that you do not need to do anything to them. I am in the DC area.

About 1/4 of my stalks die over the winter, the others survive and sprout new growth. I am not sure if new stalks flower on mine or not. We have only been here ~2 years and I have been too afraid to cut them back and see if I get blooms or not on the new growth.

o

Thanks all. I'd love to have one in a pretty sunny spot, so I may try a peegee. Thanks for the responses.

o

Peegees are lovely while in bloom. The attached link is about pruning various types of hydrangeas (it seems to present the subject with clarity).

Here is a link that might be useful: Hydrangea pruning

o

Good thing I have not pruned them all back. I guess I have mopheads because mine are blue.

o

Still haven't gotten that peegee, but picked up and planted an Endless Summer in a bed in the front this weekend. I'm excited about it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here