Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help for Civil War era kitchen garden

Posted by Jen1865 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 9:51

I've been tasked with putting in a period accurate kitchen vegetable garden at a historic home. My question is would the "three sisters" approach to planting be accurate? Any and all help is appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help for Civil War era kitchen garden

Jen,
While i was looking for something else today, i saw this website from Cornell U: Resources for research http://exhibits.mannlib.cornell.edu/kitchengardens/further.htm
They have an exhibit going on, "Harvest of Freedom: The History of Kitchen Gardens,"in their libraries, and they've placed a lot of information online. For what you want, one of the resources at the above link might be useful. I'll be interested to learn about your final results.

o

Pat,
I went to this resource and it was very good, however, it covered WWI and the gardens during the Great Depression. I've saved it to my computer for future use.

o

This might be a good place to start. Take a look at the vegetable garden terrace, located in the plantation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Monticello gardens

This post was edited by river_city on Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 22:23

o

River City, what an awesome site. I took the virtual garden tour and I think on my first free weekend I'm going to be making a road trip to see this garden in person. I notice the "teepees" and assume those are for pole beans. That is how my father grew them. What I'm specifically looking for is whether it is accurate to plant the corn, beans and squash together. That would free up quite a bit of space for my garden.
Thanks again for the resource.
Jen

o

Apparently, last week was "Historic Garden Week in VA".

Here is a link that might be useful: HistoricGardenWeekinVA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here