Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
a2ndhandrose

Looking for Vegetable Garden Compost

a2ndhandrose
18 years ago

Hi, I am finally setting up a vegetable garden here in Northern Virginia. We are going with the "Square Foot" method and need a plentiful supply of compost, not manure (what's available for sale at H.D and Lowe's etc.) but composted organic material, I probably will want several yards worth. Does anyone know somewhere I can go to buy compost for the set up phase? I will be busily producing my own for next year but for now I need some quick! Any suggestions of a good source of decent compost material will be gratefully accepted.

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• the_virginian
    18 years ago

Fairfax County sometimes has pick up stations for composted leaves and wood chips.

• Brent_In_NoVA
    18 years ago

Many nurseries in the area sell compost for around $30 per yard (Merrifield, Meadows Farms, Blue Mount, ...). That price is not too bad as long as you have a pickup truck to haul it yourself. Mix in delivery charges and/or minimum orders and it can get a bit pricey. Virginia Ground Covers in Sterling is one of the cheapest, but the time I was there checking it out it smelled a bit more than I would like.

I have had very good luck with the LeafGro sold in the bags at the box stores, but if you need several yards, then "by the bag" would be too expensive. I am pretty sure that Merrifield has LeafGro in bulk.

- Brent

• lkaa
    18 years ago

Although Windy Hill Plant Farm is closed, they are still doing compost. I think it may only be via delivery, but it is $25/yard plus delivery (costs vary depending on where you are). If you are interested, I can provide contact information. Their stuff is really good, have been using it for years with great success.

• mathteacherva
    18 years ago

For the past three years, I've had a load of composted leaf mulch delivered. I got the hauler's name at the Fairfax County website. It's Robert's Hauling. (703) 855-9875 (cell phone). It's about $160 for a LARGE dumptruck load. It's black, shredded leaves--not crumbly compost yet. That, and all the grass clippings I can gather from around the neighborhood, and maybe someday I'll have 1/3 acre of good soil! I'd like to have the Windy Hill contact information. Rose

• lkaa
    18 years ago

Rose -
    You can contact Rick directly at 703-327-6413 or Rick@Windyhill.net.
    Good luck! Laila

Sponsored