Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Gaillardia in NoVA

Posted by ravisank 6b (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 16, 12 at 14:50

Hi

I am new to gardening and was captivated by the colorful flowers of Gaillardia. I purchased a pot from an online store located in CA. I planted them last week in a sunny (west facing) location, added reasonable amount of compost to make the sticky clay soil of NoVA a little more well-drained. This week I observed that the lower leaves of the plant have starting getting yellow. I have not been watering the plant much as I read online that the plant prefers dry, well-drained, poor soil.

Not sure if I am doing anything wrong for the plant or is this just an adjustment for the plant as it adapts to the new conditions.

Will really appreciate insight from someone who has successfully grown these beautiful plants in the clay soil that we have here in NoVA. Thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Gaillardia in NoVA

Hi, I have grown Gaillardia. I got seeds in bulk from American Meadows. It grew very nicely for me. Looks a lot like Black Eyed Susan, but stays in bloom even longer. The only problem I had, it seeds itself quite readily so it has spread around my yard quite a bit. Bees love it. Also it attracts aphids. But I love this plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here