Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dxjprice

Tomato Family Problems in VA Beach

dxjprice
18 years ago

Hi all. I've had 12 mixed heirloom tomatoes and about that many peppers and eggplants in the garden for about 4 weeks now. I used WOWs to keep them warm, and just fully opened them up the past week or two as the plants got too big. Over the past week, all my tomato-family plants have started a downward spiral. It started with symptoms of over watering, but it's moved on to look like something a bit more sinister now. All my tomatoes have rolling leaves, with the tops being curled and rolled, with slowed growth. The Brandywines look like they're on the way out, and the Black Krims look like they might recover. All my peppers have turned light green, are exhibiting severe leaf roll, and most have prominent, raised veins. Some central leaf veins are even turning purple. My eggplants are in pretty sad shape as well. Their growth suddenly slowed to a crawl, and their leaves are turning light green with mottled yellow. All my other plants, which include snap peas, Napa cabbage, broc, Danish cabbage, and huckleberry, are doing great. This is my first year gardening in VA, and I might have set things out a bit early, but the WOWs kept everything very warm until I popped the tops open lately. I'm worried about a virus (TYLCV) or pesticide residue since the soil I filled my beds with came from a nursery that uses municipal compost. All my neighbors seem to use lots of lawn chemicals, and many bag their clippings for collection. Maybe some Clopyralid made it through to my veggies. Any out there in VA Beach having similar issues? Has anybody had problems with VA Beach municipal compost? I'd really appreciate any comments. Thanks.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting