Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need ideas for interplanting asters

Posted by aew75 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 20:05

I have a large front bed filled with asters, boltonia,and grasses (full sun,slight slope, DRY!) under a very young hawthorne tree that is totally bare right now. I would love to interplant with some spring bloomers but I'm not sure what would be appropriate. The only thing coming to mind right now is daffodils. I am looking for other suggestions. Maybe a spring blooming groundcover that will enjoy the shade come June/july? Other interesting bulbs?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need ideas for interplanting asters

I really like daffies, so I think you have a good daffy bed which already contains some summer and fall bloomers :))

Start with a couple aconite plants and some hellebore for really early blooms, about Feb. Buy an assortment of daffys (Check out JohnScheepers, if budget is tight wait for their November sale to buy) and you can have blooms from very early March through mid-May. You *might* be able to have tulips following - if the drainage is good and the squirrels don't see the bulbs. Then an assortment of allium will bloom in May and June. I have lilies of all sorts, which start blooming in late May and usually continue through July -- those are always finished by August, which leaves that difficult month with no perennial blooms. I've been planting snapdragons to fill in that time (I know, they aren't supposed to do well here, but I've had excellent luck with them)... those do need water but if you mulch well and then use a drip hose, about an hour of water once a week will reward you with a lot bloom even in the July-August heat.

Phlox also do very well as a filler, but also need a lot of extra water in August. Everything else I've tried seems to require more water, more often, than I'm willing to do. Some years ago I had mirabilis in a side bed which did very well without extra water, so I'm planting some seeds and will try those this year.

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here