Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suel41452

Encore Azaleas - Have Lots of Questions!

suel41452
18 years ago

I purchased 4 Encore azaleas and can't decide where to plant. Can they take full sun in a 6/7 zone in Roanoke, VA? I really want to get as much bloom as possible. But our summers can get awfully hot some years.

Also, how close can they be planted to trees such as dogwoods, crepe myrtles, and Japanese maples?

Can they be planted on a slope?

Do these azaleas really get 4.5 feet high in a 6/7 zone? And can they be planted 3 ft. apart if they are supposed to get 4 feet wide? Thanx for any advice!!!

Comments (10)

• justkatb
    18 years ago

I don't know how helpful this will be, but your query has been unanswered for days now so I thought I'd throw in what little I know.

I've been living in VA for the past 8 months and moved up from Houston, Texas. Houston is where I was given my Encore azalea by a landscaper. These were new to him and he was excited to share so he gave a few away for opinions, etc. They were supposed to be able to take some sun and he assured me that even in Houston they could take it so I planted it in a location where there was sun, but not all day. It was also in an area where other plants and shrubs were thriving.

That plant lasted about three months, then it died. He didn't wind up having good experiences with them either so quit carrying them.

Of course it's a lot hotter down there for a lot longer than it is here, but there are still plenty of days here where it is just as hot.

So, just to be on the safe side I don't think I'd plant them where they get full sun. If they are treated a little more like traditional azaleas you may have better luck than I did.

• rlymburner
    18 years ago

I've been lurking here as I'm just a neophyte, but I did have several of these planted two years ago on the North side of my house and get full sun from about 1-2pm on. They were gorgeous last year, bloomed twice as promised. However, no blooms this year (thought they would early Spring?) and they're looking a bit ragged.

• suel41452
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I think I'll plant them in afternoon shade to be safe for the 7a summer and maybe try some sort of winter protection since they are only hardy to zone 7 and we have zone 6b winters often. On the azalea forum they suggested I water them like crazy to get them established the first year or two since the roots are so shallow. And they said they are easy to transplant if a site doesn't seem to be working out. Thanx for the responses!

• gardener_sandy
    18 years ago

I have several Encore Azaleas that have been wonderful! They are on the east side of the house and get some morning sun but full shade in the afternoon. I've had them for 5 or 6 years and they bloom well every spring, have sporadic blooms over the summer, and put on a fabulous show in the fall well past the first frost.

Different Encores have different growth habits so check out the web site for details on the variety you have. Mine have done exactly what they were advertised to do as far as height and spread are concerned.

The only thing I would caution about is planting them too close under trees that will rob the moisture from them. If you do, be sure to water them the first year or two, 1" a week if it doesn't rain. After they are established, they should do fine unless we have a severe drought and then they should be watered. All azaleas are very shallow rooted and when the top 8" to 10" of soil dries out they suffer terribly and may die. They also do not like saturated soil that stays wet all the time. Like us, they like a happy medium! LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Encore Azalea website

• ensatagirl
    18 years ago

I love the Encore Azaleas, but I have none. However, there is a street near me where someone has planted about eight on the street side of a wooden stockade fence. Apparently this must be ideal for them for they always seem to be in bloom. They are not very tall and they make pretty mid sized mounds. The color is a bright rose. Unfortunately I have no room, not even for these beauties.

I don't see how the owner could water them since they are on the street side of the fence either.

• cottagegrdnr
    17 years ago

i grow them in Richmond in strong sun where they do well. Just give them enough moisture until they settle in, then they do take off, vertically and horizontally...give em 3 years to settle in.

These are more or less vertical shrubs...which are great for narrow spots...if you want something more cauasl and out-spreading, go with the indicas (George Tabor, Formosa, etc)...and plant clematis under them.

of course the indicas will get huge!

• cottagegrdnr
    17 years ago

i grow them in Richmond in strong sun where they do well. Just give them enough moisture until they settle in, then they do take off, vertically and horizontally...give em 3 years to settle in.

These are more or less vertical shrubs...which are great for narrow spots...if you want something more cauasl and out-spreading, go with the indicas (George Tabor, Formosa, etc)...and plant clematis under them.

of course the indicas will get huge!

• suel41452
    Original Author
    17 years ago

So glad to hear they get tall & are more narrow - just what I wanted!

• gardener_sandy
    17 years ago

Careful! All of them don't get tall and narrow. I have Autumn Coral and they are lower and more spreading than you might want. They're perfect for the spot I have them in but would not work somewhere you wanted more height or a narrower border.

• cottagegrdnr
    17 years ago

ooops...sorry...sandy is right...i should have specified Autumn Royalty...the only Encore I like ...has wonderful purplish/red coloring...