Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Norfolk Botanical Garden plant sale next week

Posted by rj_hythloday 8A (My Page) on
Sat, May 2, 09 at 7:55

I just noticed this on their site the other day. I'll be there getting a few perennials for an empty planter.

Here is a link that might be useful: List pf plants available

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Norfolk Botanical Garden plant sale next week

Good to know. Thanks!

o

Thanks for the "heads up"! I'm going to try to get there on Friday :)

o

Does anyone know what the prices are like? Price ranges? Are they comparable to local nurseries such as MacDonald's?

o

Cheaper than MacDonald's. I don't know if we are supposed to say prices lol.

o

I was a little disappointed in this year's sale =( but still an ok sale. I hope they don't do that "pick your plants up at the admin building as you leave" next year or ever again. Even the native plant sale seemed slim last year they had pawpaws and serviceberries and some other great ones that the other native plant sales don't usually have. The VA Beach native plant sale was the same day. Their prices are nice which made up for the day. Got a mystery eleagnus can't wait to find out which. Portsmouth native plant sale is next weekend. So far the Chesapeake Native Plant Sale was my favorite for this year. Sorry if this came off as a complaining post. I looked forward to this sale all year and plus it was Mother's Day Weekend I was ready to go crazy spending. Oh well next year!

o

I really enjoyed it. Was there for a bit on Saturday, but lingered longer Sunday as the weather cooled off. Didn't buy tons of stuff, but was pleased to find some striking coleus to add to my containers at a fraction of McDonald Garden Center's prices.

Silly as it sounds, I was so excited with the colors of these coleus because the curtains that frame the windows that look out onto the pots have the same colors in them! That's the kind of thing that makes me SO happy!

Also found a fabulous bargain on large Pittosporum & bought 3. I love how they look in NBG's Japanese garden. At Mac's & Atlantic, they are $25.00 & I paid $10.00 for these, which were much larger than the garden center's!

I've recently returned to this area, & didn't know this sale was such a big event. There were large crowds both days!

I shall return next year! I love NBG. Going there is one of my favorite things to do. My dh & I really have enjoyed our membership...& we got 10% of at the sale!

o

I went on Friday. I came away with a few new ferns :) The weather was great and the Rose Gardens were gorgeous!

o

We got the black bamboo and 3 banana shrubs. We came on Sunday and went to the plant sale in the afternoon. so most of the more exciting plants were probably gone. But it was great event and I'm already looking forward to next years plant sale.
Changsong

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here