Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rj_hythloday

Norfolk Botanical Garden plant sale next week

rj_hythloday
14 years ago

I just noticed this on their site the other day. I'll be there getting a few perennials for an empty planter.

Here is a link that might be useful: List pf plants available

Comments (8)

• sunny631
    14 years ago

Good to know. Thanks!

• daylily
    14 years ago

Thanks for the "heads up"! I'm going to try to get there on Friday :)

• mommy2noah
    14 years ago

Does anyone know what the prices are like? Price ranges? Are they comparable to local nurseries such as MacDonald's?

• divahethr
    14 years ago

Cheaper than MacDonald's. I don't know if we are supposed to say prices lol.

• divahethr
    14 years ago

I was a little disappointed in this year's sale =( but still an ok sale. I hope they don't do that "pick your plants up at the admin building as you leave" next year or ever again. Even the native plant sale seemed slim last year they had pawpaws and serviceberries and some other great ones that the other native plant sales don't usually have. The VA Beach native plant sale was the same day. Their prices are nice which made up for the day. Got a mystery eleagnus can't wait to find out which. Portsmouth native plant sale is next weekend. So far the Chesapeake Native Plant Sale was my favorite for this year. Sorry if this came off as a complaining post. I looked forward to this sale all year and plus it was Mother's Day Weekend I was ready to go crazy spending. Oh well next year!

• stinky-gardener
    14 years ago

I really enjoyed it. Was there for a bit on Saturday, but lingered longer Sunday as the weather cooled off. Didn't buy tons of stuff, but was pleased to find some striking coleus to add to my containers at a fraction of McDonald Garden Center's prices.

Silly as it sounds, I was so excited with the colors of these coleus because the curtains that frame the windows that look out onto the pots have the same colors in them! That's the kind of thing that makes me SO happy!

Also found a fabulous bargain on large Pittosporum & bought 3. I love how they look in NBG's Japanese garden. At Mac's & Atlantic, they are $25.00 & I paid $10.00 for these, which were much larger than the garden center's!

I've recently returned to this area, & didn't know this sale was such a big event. There were large crowds both days!

I shall return next year! I love NBG. Going there is one of my favorite things to do. My dh & I really have enjoyed our membership...& we got 10% of at the sale!

• daylily
    14 years ago

I went on Friday. I came away with a few new ferns :) The weather was great and the Rose Gardens were gorgeous!

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    14 years ago

We got the black bamboo and 3 banana shrubs. We came on Sunday and went to the plant sale in the afternoon. so most of the more exciting plants were probably gone. But it was great event and I'm already looking forward to next years plant sale.
    Changsong

Sponsored
Columbus Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions