Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to buy cocoa shell mulch in NoVA?

Posted by umayamla 7a (My Page) on
Fri, May 17, 13 at 8:07

Hi All,
I would like to use cocoa shell mulch in my community garden this season but I'm having trouble finding it in Northern Virginia. I've looked at several Home Depots and they have no idea what I'm talking about. I plan to use it to mulch my vegetable garden which is in a fenced in community garden, so I won't have to worry about dogs accidentally eating it. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to buy cocoa shell mulch in NoVA?

Merrifield Garden Ctr still had some as of last Wednesday. That's the only place I know of that actually carries it all the time. I think it was about $12 per 2 cu.ft bag. My Corolla holds 8 bags easy (4 in trunk and 4 on back seat), and I have carried as many 14 bags - it's not heavy, just bulky. If you are over 65 y/o, don't forget to tell the cashier so as to get 10% discount (they never ask you but are cheerful about applying the discount).

Remember that it truly does only need about an inch depth, so one bag covers a lot of square footage.

o
RE: Where to buy cocoa shell mulch in NoVA?

Thanks so much. I happen to live close by Merrifield Garden near Dunn Loring but have only purchased organic pesticides there in the past. I'm going to check it out and hopefully buy 2-3 bags to bring to my garden plot at work. I've heard such good things about this mulch and wanted to try some different than hardwood.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here