Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plants near mailbox

Posted by keith37 Virginia (My Page) on
Tue, May 8, 07 at 10:20

I am getting rid of an overgrown juniper (actually two, one on each side) situated at the top of my driveway, and would like suggestions for what to plant there. There is grass bordering both junipers now, and lyriope lining the driveway back to the house.
Any suggestions? I want something colorful to accent a white mailbox stand, but also need something that will look nice from the road most, if not all, of the year.
Thanks for any suggestions!
Keith

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plants near mailbox

By white mailbox stand do you mean a post or a box around the mailbox area like a planter? Personally, I like those white picket fence corners (3 posts w/ 2 panels) as back drops, but that's just me :)

If you want a nice golden color shrub there are the false cypress, I bought a gold mop last year. It is supposed to eventually reach 5x5 though. You could put a dwarf pampas grass or miscanthus. Homestead Purple verbena is close to evergreen and blooms spring thru frost as a short ground-cover.

Honestly, what I have aat my mailbox is a trellis behind the box/post with mandevilla, a dwarf pampas grass behind that, 3 queen margarite daisies, some verbena and dianthus, pansies, blue hill salvia, mums, candytuff and white coneflower. I had some sedum too but it got crowded out. I leave the plumes from the grass all winter and the pansies and the dried husks of the coneflower & mums. Might not look GREAT during the dead of winter, but not terrible either. If you could say if you want evergreens or flowers it would probably help.

-Bonnie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here