Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fig trees in northern va?

Posted by rian 7va (My Page) on
Tue, May 6, 14 at 10:38

I have a huge brown turkey about 30 years old and another about 17 also a green fig (don't know the name) about 4. So far, no green leaves or buds. If you have a fig tree around here, how is it doing?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fig trees in northern va?

I had a brown turkey, a celeste and two texas everbearing in Northern VA and all of them were killed this winter. Additionally, a fried has a very large green fig tree that has never been harmed by the winter, but this year the limbs were killed and it is senting up new shoots from the ground.

o

I just checked my celeste and it looks like a shoot is emerging from the ground. I started 2 fico nero figs, 2 chicago hardy figs and 2 nero missione figs from cuttings. If the brown turkey and texas everbearing do not make it, I am going to use those to replace them. Since they will not have enough time to ripen their fruit before the first frost, I am going to use the "six and pinch" method to induce early fruiting. After 6 leaves are on a shoot, just pinch off the end to stop growth and the plants energy will be used to grow fruit earlier which will allow earlier ripening.

o

All of mine (in RVA), and pretty much everyone I've talked to had theirs killed to the ground this winter. They survived, but they're starting over.

o

• Posted by rian 7va (My Page) on
    Fri, May 16, 14 at 12:16

When I checked this morning all three figs had new growth coming close to the ground on existing branches. I am hoping that as time goes on there will be growth higher on the thicker branches, and that we will get a good crop of figs this year after all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here