Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Texan haven't seen this one...

Posted by piksi_hk 9 (My Page) on
Mon, May 8, 06 at 13:56

We just got back from visiting our nation's capitol and saw some trees that we haven't seen before back here in Texas.

The first one is like the wisteria, very fragrant, but with white blooms. Is this a type of wisteria? We saw this one as we walked from the Metro to our hotel in Largo, MD.

The second on is a tree with fringe-like blooms; kind of feathery; white in color. This was in DC.

We enjoyed the gardens in Monticello, Mt. Vernon, and James Monroe's place, even though many had already bloomed.

We were at the White House on Tues. and the gardeners were pulling up the tulips and grape hyacinths and they were kind enough to allow us to take a few. What do they do with all those tulips, etc. Are they thrown away or reused next year?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Texan haven't seen this one...

Link is to info on tulips; from the National Park Service, which is responsible for many local historic gardens. I did notice they say they buy new bulbs every year, so as to have the best possible display. The DC area has mostly clay soil and is not well-suited for maintaining tulips.

The white could have been wisteria although it's just a bit early for most wisterias, or it could have been paulonia [which does come in white as well as the more common purple/lavenders].

The tree with white fringe-like bloom has me stumped. Could it possibly have been a pear or plum that had had the larger petals blown off?? I did notice some local [Fairfax] pear trees which gave that impression due to recent high winds - if I hadn't already been quite familiar with those particular trees, I would have thought they were something else entirely! OTOH, local mimosas have been in bloom; mostly they are a true pink, but they do pale considerably as the blooms fade out; the blossoms could certainly be described as feathery.

Here is a link that might be useful: NPS tulips

o
RE: Texan haven't seen this one...

You hit the nail on the head with your discription of the tree with "fringe-like blooms." It's common name is Fringe Tree. Beautiful and fragrant, it makes a nice addition to a landscape. Here's a link to NCSU's fact sheet on it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fringe Tree facts

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here