Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Okra Trouble!

Posted by CKilleen 7 (My Page) on
Tue, May 22, 12 at 14:15

Hello everyone! I am new to GardenWeb and this is my first post. I live in Fredericksburg with my Husband and 5 year old daughter. My husband and I have planted (3) 4x4 raised beds in our back yard(this is our first garden together). I used to help my mom plant a garden every spring when I was younger. Anyway, I planted my Okra the beginning of May and they were doing fine, but now the leaves have begun to turn brown, and some of the leaves are yellow with black spots. Does anyone know what this might be? I thought maybe it was from being over watered? It has been raining a lot around here lately. I also found some clear round eggs on the underside of the leaves, I was curious what these might be as well. Another thing I have noticed it that the Okra doesn't seem to be growing, all my other plants are growing like weeds! I am going to post pictures that I took this morning, that way everyone can see what is going on. Thanks for reading, and I hope everyone has a great day!!:-)

PS. The picture of the eggs is a little blurry but I think you will still be able to see them.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

EGGS!
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Okra Trouble!

Plant some garlic around it.

o
RE: Okra Trouble!

Hello,

I grow several different types of okra each year. I also grow in raised beds and containers. I am not an expert and only offer my opinion from years of growing okra. I occasionally have the problem you show in your photos. I think it might be a moisture problem - the excess rain we had in May. I am in Central Virginia not far from you. When the weather gets hotter (June) - your okra plants should be just fine. When I have that type of leaf I pull them from the plants and usually when the weather drys out a bit and the temps get into the 90's I do not have further problem. I know this is not much 'technical' help but hopefully it gives you something to look forward to. Planting garlic around okra has never helped my okra. Of course in my location I tend to plant garlic in late September.

Cheers,
DL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here