Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gritslad

Best figs for this zone

gritslad
12 years ago

Besides the ubiquitous Celeste and Brown Turkey, what are your favorite figs to grow in this area? If anyone is interested in swapping cuttings, let me know. I have what is either a Brown Turkey or a Celeste or perhaps a hybrid.

Comments (10)

• maryann_va
    12 years ago

I have a Brown Turkey and a Chicago Hardy in Zone 7, Central VA.

• Fonste
    12 years ago

I have tried growing Figs, which I love, for 2 different years and each time they froze! The only one I see around here...central virginia...is the one that survives at Jefferson's, Monticello. It is grown by the corner of the house and on the west facing side. I have not seen any other Figs here. Where would be the best place to put mine...up against the house?
    F

• vaplantman
    12 years ago

I live in Newport News, Va and grow a few different varieties in the ground. I have 2 Celeste, 2 Violet de Bordeaux (my favorite), 1 Peter's Honey, 1 Strawberry Verte, and 1 Negronne. I am also starting cuttings of a few other varieties including Hardy Chicago, Alma, Blue Celeste, Panache, Italian Golden Honey, and Osborne Prolific. With one exception (an espalier) I grow them as shrubs rather than trees in case if cold damage. So far no major damage. Message me if you want specific info about the in-ground plants.
    Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: .09 Acres

• maryann_va
    12 years ago

Fonste - I'm in Albemarle County, and the 2 figs I mentioned have been in the ground a couple of years. I have't winter-protected them, and they're huge this year. I pruned them in the early spring a year ago, but this year decided not to. Big mistake. Mine are in a semi-protected area - against a brick wall in full sun - but I have neighbors whose figs are in the open in their front yard (dont' know what variety theirs are).

• the_virginian
    10 years ago

I live in NoVa and have many of the figs mentioned here and none of them have died back with any significance in over 6 years.

• rosie99
    10 years ago

I live in the Winchester area of VA and would like to try growing a fig tree.. My Italian relatives in PA(same zone) grew them and pulled them down and covered them to keep them insulated from the cold. They are gone so I cannot ask them for info. What variety would survive?

• Beach_bums
    10 years ago

We're in VB and have a black mission that produces a lot of delicious figs. The only problem is that the tree is very big. We'd love to have a smaller tree tree that produces a lot of good figs and takes up less space. We're thinking about a LSU purple or a Violet de Bordeaux. What do you think?

• cahac
    10 years ago

Rosie99,
    I'm over in Front Royal, I have a Brown Turkey & a Celeste Had em for about 20 years now but mine have become bushes not trees . when we have a real cold and ice winter they die back to ground level
    have done that about 4 times over the years. last time was 3/4 years ago when we had all that snow & ice on the ground for about a month but this year both bushes were loaded. If you want some cuttings of those in the spring, email me and i will send my ph # you can call to.
    I just can't get cuttings to root for some reason,have tried everything but no luck. I gave a friend over in WVa 12 cuttings of each last summer and she got them all rooted. She also has a greenhouse tho. If you want any let me know
    cliff--oh this is zone 6a

• Charlie
    10 years ago

Rosie - My wife is Italian and we have Italian relatives in Italy. They live in Northern Italy with a climate similar to Virginia. I live in Northern Virginia and grow celeste, but they have not had time to ripen before the first frost. I also grow Texas everbearing which I have in pots and place in an unheated shed for the winter. They ripen in August. I want to plant brown turkey, chicago hardy and another hardy purple variety.

• JoppaRich
    10 years ago

Beach_bums - you can prune the tree.

I'm in Varina (SE of Richmond). I've got a Green Ischia and a Black Mission that I put in the ground in the summer. They're still alive at this point, so I'm thinking they may make it through this tough winter.

Rosie99, how are you trying to root them? I typically just throw a couple sticks in some water, give them some shade, and they'll root. I've also rooted them in ziploc bags with moist paper towel. Figs are really easy to root, so I can't help but think that you're doing something wrong.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz