Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wild Grapes?

Posted by theflowerman Virginia (My Page) on
Sun, May 13, 12 at 15:59

I have discovered that I have what appears to be a wild grape plant mixed in and among some multi flora rose and honeysuckle. I would like to attempt to rescue this plant and use the grapes produced. Were I to cut the plant back would it recover? How far back to cut it? When to cut it back? Advice? I also want to keep the other "weeds" as they not only look nice but they also screen out the neighbors view of my yard.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wild Grapes?

If this is the grapevine that is growing all over my woodland, believe me, a little cutting will actually make it GROW!! You cannot "harm" grapevine! The only problem w/keeping grapes and other invasive weeds is that they produce suckers and/or lots of seeds and they can become difficult if not impossible to control!

o

flowerman
I can't comment on wild grape species common in VA - but have you seen the grapes this vine produces?
A significant percentage of many volunteer muscadine grape seedlings are nonfruiting males - not sure if that is the case for other grape species.
Additionally, not all 'wild' grapes are going to be an exceptional eating experience; other than an occasional native muscadine, most fruiting wild grapes I've encountered in KY/TN/MO are tiny little exceedingly tart things, and no amount of fertilization or pampering will push them beyond their genetic potential.
Just food for thought...

o

You might consider grafting your favorie grape onto the wild vine. Should do well

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here