Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
summer phlox

Posted by tat3 Virginia, Zone 6 (My Page) on
Sun, May 1, 11 at 17:17

Hello All,
Has anyone had success growing summer phlox in Virginia gardens without mildew problems? I am considering the shorter varieties like 'Junior Dance', 'Little Boy', 'Pixie Miracle Grace', but I am new to this and would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: summer phlox

Attached is a link to a study from NCSU. They have 'David' as highly resistant, but in my experience it gets infected just as often and just as bad as other phlox. If you are in an area where humid summers are the norm, mildew will always be a problem you'll need to deal with. While many will say air circulation will be important, and it is, it won't do much if you don't have air movement. Powdery mildew likes moisture in the form of water vapor, but not as free moisture sitting on leaves. Some of the best phlox I've seen in someone's garden was in a part with overhead irrigation that had almost no mildew while the same cultivar less than 10 feet away but with no irrigation was covered in mildew.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mildew Resistant Garden Phlox

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here