Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
a2ndhandrose

Cucumbers?

a2ndhandrose
17 years ago

Anybody here have any suggestions for types of cucumber plants to grow for pickling? I would like to make some big "Kosher Dill" type pickles as well as some sweet relish and some sweet gerkhins. I am open to suggestions you'all might have from personal experiences. I am in Northern Virginia, TIA!

Comment (1)

• meldy_nva
    17 years ago

Are you going to ferment them in crockery or salt-pack or use a packet like Mrs. Wage's?

IMO, most pickles are crisper if using cucmber varieties specific for pickling rather than all-purpose. For instance, while all cukes have a cute, tiny baby stage of growth, I think the tiny sweet gherkins taste better when made with "West Indian Gherkins" than with small cukes of other varieties. If I am planning to make one of the larger pickled chunks or spears, I grow "Homemade Pickles".

Since I don't salt-pack or ferment the cukes any more, I don't do the usual Kosher/dill spears or whole cukes (they just don't seem to get crisp enough to suit me). However, I have used Mrs. Wage's pre-mixed packets for refrigerator-style dill spears with success - in fact, DD and DH prefer those to store-bought.

Almost any cuke can be used in making 'bread and butter' pickles, with very ripe cukes making a slightly sweeter pickle. B&B's are somewhat softer rather than crisp; and favorites seem to depend on the recipe's spices and proportion of peppers/onions rather than the cuke.

A new favorite of DH's may be old hat to you, but is worth mentioning since it does well when made with standard slicing cucumbers. Freezer pickles! Cukes are sliced, mixed with sliced onions, and packed in a olive oil-dill vinegrette and frozen. Thawed in the refrigerator, they seem to retain a just-picked crispness for a couple weeks.