Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hankg_gw

Where near Winchester are the heirlooms?

hankg_gw
14 years ago

Yep, need to get them and plant them. Tomatoes, that is. I have already planted a bunch of commercial type hybrids for the PYO patch, but most of the really neat seedlings became squirrel food. I hope to take something to the MAG tomato tasting this August. So, if you have any nursery you like within 50 miles of my home town, please advise. Thankyou much,

Hank

Comments (8)

• hankg_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Not to worry, I found bunches. E-mail me if you're interested in going to the MAG tomato tasting. Hank

• winchesterva
    14 years ago

I have only been growing tomatoes the past two years (lived in Winchester for 4 years) and have never found any nursery in Winchester that sells heirlooms, so this year I order seeds and grew my own.

• vlygrl
    14 years ago

Mac's Greenhouse in Woodstock always has lots of heirloom tomato plants. Kim's Greenhouse in Broadway (on Route 11 south of New Market) had heirloom tomato plants last year.

You might, though, want to head out to Herndon to DeBaggio Herbs - they carry lots and lots of heirlooms.

Next year, you might want to check the Northern Virginia Daily's classifieds. I've seen people in there advertising that they had heirloom tomato plants.

• hankg_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thankyou very much vlygrl. I will keep your suggestions somewhere safe for next year. I got some plants from Gabalot in Strasburg and a bunch from the plant sale at the Arboretum at Blandy. I just may head out to Herndon today. Have you or anyone considered going to the MAGTAG tomato tasting this coming August? Hank

• bobbic
    14 years ago

I got a bunch of heirloom plants from Keith Kendall at the Sunday Farmer's Market in Locust Grove, on Route 20. My red grape tomato plant seems to be on steroids! :D I've started five different branches off it and they're all growing great guns too.

• vlygrl
    14 years ago

I just sent you an email, Hank. I hope you receive it. Did you get to DiBaggios? I love that place. In addition to the tomato plants, they have more kinds of basil plants than I've ever seen anywhere and their herb plant selection is terrific.

I've gotten wonderful plants from DiBaggios and Mac's but I have to say Kim's Greenhouse has the best plants I've found anywhere. Not just tomatoes but all of their vegetables, annuals and perennials are very lush and healthy.

• rdback
    14 years ago

Probably a little late for this year, but you might want to check out Deauville Farms in Bayse. It seems Gail has a little bit of everything you might want or need, and then some LOL. In the Spring, she has tons of heirlooms to offer. Anyway, her place is definitely unique, and Gail is absolutely delightful. A nice setting and a great place to take the kids as well.

Rick

Here is a link that might be useful: Gail Rose - Deauville Fallow Deer Farm - Basye, VA

• hankg_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Rick. This sounds like a an interesting place to visit. My wife and I often go on nursery trips for a day. We run in to the nicest people and plants. Basye is not too far away. Hank

Sponsored