Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harryvetch

Waynsboro Garden Center

harryvetch
16 years ago

Made my annual pilgrimage from Richmond to Andre Viette's nursery this afternoon. As always, Andre was as awesome as usual.

And, as usual on my way back east, I stop at the Waynsboro Garden Center. This place, if you have never been there, is a real jewel that you have to experience to appreciate.

I spend most of my trip home commiserating about how we have nothing like that in Richmond. All the way up 64 I thinking up ways to get it, come on, we've got almost a million people, it should be ours!...We've got to give the good folks of Waynesboro something in return, maybe 1 Stranges Florest, we'll even through in a Southern States to boot....sounds fair to me....

Guess it's not going to happen, I might just have to make that trip a little more frequently, and guess I can stand Charlottesville radio long enough to get there.

Comments (4)

• rian
    16 years ago

please, more detail...what will we find at Waynsboro Garden Center? Is it better than Merrifield?

• waynesboroalison
    16 years ago

Rian,

I recently moved from Northern Virginia to Waynesboro so I have had the opportunity to visit and shop at both Merrifield Garden Center and Waynesboro Garden Center. Both are nice places, but Merrifield is significantly larger and prices are pretty comparable. I have not found any trees, plants, or flowers at Waynesboro that I couldn't get through Merrifield. If you live in the Northern Virginia area and have easy access to Merrifield's big Fairfax shop I would not say that it is worth a trip down here solely to visit Waynesboro Garden Center. However, you could make a lovely day or weekend trip to this area to visit multiple nurseries (and to take in the beautiful scenery and culture of the Shenandoah Valley) - Waynesboro Garden Center, Village Garden (in Fishersville - which is about 6 miles up the road from Waynesboro Garden Center), and Andre Viette's (also in Fishersville and absolutely gorgeous). Two other potential places to visit during such a trip are Milmont Greenhouses (in Stuarts Draft - which is about 7 miles from Waynesboro Garden Center) and Buffalo Springs Herb Farm (in Raphine - about half an hour southwest of Waynesboro). I have not visted Milmont or Buffalo Springs yet but hear from locals that they are both very good. I look forward to making my own visits in the next week or two.

• rian
    16 years ago

Thanks Alison, for all the good suggestions. I'm glad you mentioned Andre Viette's; it was on my list already. I have been struck by peony envy and they are supposed to have a good collection.

• MistressJoy
    16 years ago

I moved to C'Ville from Reston in Northern Virginia and have been extremely dissappointed by the quantity and quality of nursuries and garden centers in this area. Two years ago my neighbor took me to go visit Waynesboro Garden Center and I've got to tell you I wasn't impressed. Although it has a more varied selection than what C'Ville has locally, I found it overpriced (for the area) and lacking compared to Fairfax's Merrifield and others in N.VA.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz