Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to eliminate poison oak and sumac from my hedges?

Posted by spellcaster 7 (My Page) on
Tue, May 15, 07 at 20:35

Any one out there know how to eliminate poison oak and sumac from my hedges?I am highly allergic to both but not to poison ivy.I can not even go near the oak or sumac.Any suggestions? please help if you can! Thanks so much!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to eliminate poison oak and sumac from my hedges?

It would be helpful to know what kind of hedges you're dealing with. With many hedging shrubs (e.g. privet, even boxwoods) would tolerate, perhaps even be rejuvenated by hard pruning. You could cut the hedges back almost to the ground and then spray the poison oak and poison ivy with glyphosate (Roundup) or a brush killer (my recommendation).

I did this successfully with a hedge of privet, and then decided later in the season I hated the privet anyhow and removed the hedge altogether.

If you have a mature hedge of English boxwood or something that you don't want to risk hacking up, you're pretty much looking at doing it the hard way... pulling it all out by hand. No matter how good a job you do, you'll have some survive and come up again later in the season or next year.

I am not sensitive to poison oak, ivy or sumac (would love to give you a hand)... I can do this type of work with no more protection than gloves (and small jobs I do barehanded).

This might be one of those annoying occasions where it would be worthwhile to pay someone to take on this task. Your neighborhood lawn service would probably take on a small job like this for a reasonable fee.

Let us know what you decide and how it works out.

;) -S

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here