Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leslie_c

small zuchinni plants?

leslie_c
16 years ago

I planted my zuchinni plants about a month ago and they have about 4-5 leaves each no and aqbout 1 flower bud per plant. I heard that zuchinni grew quickly and prolificly. Should my plants be bigger by now or should I not worry?

Comments (8)

• meldy_nva
    16 years ago

I suspect it's a case of don't worry -- especially if your area is suffering any water shortage. Zucchini have a split personality and will look sweet and tender and tiny until about mid-late July, when they suddenly grow inches overnight and then show their true nature, not only making baseball bats instead of hors d'oeuvre, but making them in factory-style multiples. Sometime in August you will have a very large plant cranking out zukes, and you will seriously consider buying a larger freezer to put all the goodies you can make with zucchini.

• leslie_c
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I now have flowers on all of my plants!! It looks like they are male flowers though, and some that are still buds. Do the male flowers come up before the female flowers or at the same time?

• meldy_nva
    16 years ago

I honestly can't say which come first... seems like they arrive at about the same time, or maybe it's just that by the time I've noticed the blooms, both are present.

BTW, there is concern re pollination due to shortages of bees [zucchini DO depend on bees to pollinate] so you may want to hand pollinate. Use either a small artist's brush or a fat q-tip to gather pollen from the male flower and transfer to the female flower. Some folks remove the male blossom and simply shake it over the female blossom.

• leslie_c
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here's a picture of my zuchinni plant flowers. Are any of these female flowers to be?

Here is a link that might be useful: zuchinni flowers

• meldy_nva
    16 years ago

Finding a helpful photo was a bit of a challenge, but if you open the link and then scroll amost all the way down, there is a good pic on the left. Notice there is a slight difference in stem thickness.

Other squashes are somewhat easier to discern because there will be an obvious little bulge right at the base of the flower, which could become the future squash fruit.

My wild guess is that you might have one female (closest flower)... but I would expect that if it were fertilized, you'd be seeing that teensy tiny baby zucchini any day now.

Here is a link that might be useful: zucchini flowers

• leslie_c
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yeah I have 2 little zucchini babies!

It looks like you were right,meldy_nva, thank you!

• meldy_nva
    16 years ago

Enjoy! Remember that tiny zucchini are considered gourmet fare :)

One of my favorite zuke recipes takes a couple 3" zukes, wash thoroughly and remove stem. Carefully slice into petite matchsticks. Melt 2 teaspoons of margarine or mild olive oil in small non-stick skillet on medium heat. Toss zukes into pan, sprinkle with a tiny bit of black pepper and about 1/2 teaspoon dried or finely minced fresh marjoram and stirfry. Just as they get done (2 mins?), sprinkle with about 1 teaspoon crushed rosemary. Stirfry about another minute or until matchsticks are slightly translucent and have lost their stiffness. This sneaky recipe really does not need salt!

• leslie_c
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That sounds yummy! Do you use fresh or dried rosemary? And can you maybe sprinkle on some parmesan cheese when its done?