Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dianthus Help

Posted by babywatson 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 7, 06 at 9:25

My dianthus have all flowered. Do I need to deadhead it or is that it for the season? I'm not sure what type of dianthus it is. Bright red-orange flowers. It's perennial or biennial. My mom-in-law dropped off a pot here in the winter and I left it outside. The dianthus developed this spring.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dianthus Help

I prefer to dead-head, just for the sake of neatness. Some dianthus (especially those called 'pinks') will re-bloom if you keep them watered and deadheaded. Be sure it's planted in sandy soil, with really good drainage; and give it a light-weight mulch over-winter... you may have one of the perennials.

o
RE: Dianthus Help

I'd advise no mulch - if it's perennial, especially one of the ones with bluish leaves, a mulch over the crown may well kill it. At best, you'll end up with long stringy stems with tufts on the end and no foliage closer to the crown.

I grew various species dianthus and their cultivars for years, and never mulched them. When they were accidentally "mulched" by leaves from other plants, they always looked awful afterwards, and I usually had to take cuttings and reestablish the plants to have a decent looking mat of foliage.

I don't actually know of a dianthus which is NOT winterhardy in Virginia zone 7, but there are a number which don't like our summers. Something that came in a pot as a gift, and survived the winter, sounds like one of the miniature carnations. They're a bit touchy here, but given good drainage and air circulation, are sufficiently hardy to make it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here