Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bellefleurs_gw

Farmer's Markets in Richmond

bellefleurs
17 years ago

My friend and I from Charlottesville would like to go to Farmer's markets in the Richmond area some Saturday in July. I have been to the 17th Street market in the past - has it grown in size?? What other farmer's markets on Saturday should we visit.

Thanks for your help!

Comments (6)

• myloki
    17 years ago

Personally, I think if anything it has shrunk since Gaston wiped out the nice wood platforms that vendors used. The market has finally replaced them, but the new ones are smaller and there just don't seem to be as many vendors. I think Thursdays have more plant vendors. That is when they have the organic growers and they have more unusual veggies.
    July 22 is the big tomato festival and that will be a much bigger market than usual. I think the Mercado, on July 8 is as well.
    A gal I met at the 17th St Market now sells at the Petersburg market on Saturdays and says business is better there. Her husband does the Thursday 17th St Market and does well.
    -Stephanie

Here is a link that might be useful: 17th St Farmer's Market

• tomatobob_va7
    17 years ago

My wife and I went to the Market St spot on Saturday, June 24th and were sorely disappointed. Our little market here in Manassas has 3-4 times the produce and vendors on Saturdays and twice as many on vendor-grown Thursdays.
    I wouldn't bother again unless for the Tomato Jubilee.
    But do try to have a meal at Can-Can in the Cary district.

• ajc1670
    15 years ago

There is a new Farmers Market at Forest Hill Park in the City of Richmond on Saturdays called the South of the James market. It's been very popular and had pretty big crowds when I have been there. About the same number of vendors as the 17th street. We're pretty much in our infancy as far as Farmers Markets go.

• cmchwms
    15 years ago

Goochland Farmers Market

Open Every Saturday
    May 3 - October 25
    8:00am-Noon

At the Grace Episcopal Church
    2955 River Rd W, Goochland, VA 23063

Here is a link that might be useful: Goochland Farmers Market

• dogear6
    15 years ago

Unfortunately, Goochland's Farmers Market has very few vegetable sellers (two last time we were there). There are some chicken and beef farmers, but mostly it is arts & crafts. It was not worth the drive from Glen Allen.

Anybody try Petersburg? Although I hate to go that far.

I have moved 10 times and never had such an inability to find a good Farmer's Market as in Richmond.

• va-plantlover
    15 years ago

The Petersburg Farmers Market is opened the first week-end in May through the end of October, 7 a.m. Âtil NOON under the Martin Luther King bridge. This location suits the vendors as it offers them some shade during the hot, humid months of summer, as well as making them all visible to those entering the market. In the peak season, there are approximately 20-25 vendors.

If youÂre looking for a market with a "quaint feel" about it, visit The Petersburg Farmers Market and enjoy the Bluegrass music provided each week!

In the OFF season, from November through April, you will find approximately 3 vendors selling their wares in front of the Farmers Market building:

Rabbit Hill Farm sells baked goods, jams and jellies, herb mixes, loofah soaps, gourd ornaments, and goat cheese.

Dolce Vita Farm sells grass fed, antibiotic-free beef and pork.

Cardinal Hill Farm sells free range chicken (whole or cut-up), free range brown eggs, and winter squash.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County