Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kroach001

So am I too late???

kroach001
14 years ago

Haven't had nearly enough time to get everything planted, just got my corn in the ground two days ago, tomato plants are all still fairly small (biggest ones about 12 inches high), still need to plant more squash, just planted my melons two days ago... am I too late???? Anyone else in Virginia know? Also, anyone know when its too late for pumpkin planting??

Comments (6)

• gardener_sandy
    14 years ago

No, you're not too late for any of the things you mentioned. They will definitely be later producing than the neighbor down the road who always tries to have the "first tomato on the block" but you will get a nice harvest anyway, all things working for you instead of against you. (DH & the young man who gardens our 3000 sf plot just put corn in the ground a few days ago and it's already nearly 6" high. It loves this warm and wet weather we're having right now and will grow rapidly.)

I don't grow pumpkins so somebody else will have to answer that one for you.

Sandy

• tazebell
    14 years ago

I hope we aren't too late. Seems the constant rains and cooler temps have kept my planting at bay. The seedlings are fars for huge, am scared to plant them! No way could I feed my family from this garden as it will take all summer to grow to respectable sizes! Now I am afraid the tomatoes I did set out have early signs of blight. My peppers are tiny and about the best thing growing is bind weed and moss rose. I will pray for your garden, if you will pray for mine!

• kroach001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My tomatoes are coming along, still small and pepper plants are tiny too... BUT... I was giving it some good thought today and remembered specifically last year my father in law saying if you get tomatoes by the 4th of July, your doing really good... and I remember not getting any by the 4th last year, but got some coming ripe the following week, so thought I wasn't doing too bad... I THEN remembered how disappointed I was in late June last year with how everything seemed to not be growing very fast... and then I remembered how everything really grew like crazy in July!!! I was over-run with tomatoes by late July and giving them away by the bushel full by August!!! :) I think the wet weather is probably a good time for seedlings because they need good moisture in the soil to keep spreading and growing their delicate roots. I tried some raised rows this year and I'm glad I did because it does help when there is excessive moisture. I do think everything is going to be fine... or at least I sure am hoping and praying!!!

• bobbic
    14 years ago

With how cold it's been this year I've been thinking that I'm glad I didn't start as early as some of my coworkers did!

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    14 years ago

pumpkins ca n go in now or in several weeks--otherwise you will have
    them too early and will rot by Halloween....

• hankg_gw
    14 years ago

So am I too late???
    Yup, already taken. (:()(that's a frowny face)
    Actually, what I can add to this thread is that we are planting pumpkins now in northern Va. to be harvested throughout Oct. in our pick your own operation. Hank

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!