Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whats Eating my Cherry Tree?

Posted by richmonder 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 9, 08 at 12:15

I planted a small flowering cherry in my backyard this spring, and I noticed yesterday that some unknown culprit is taking big round bites out of the leaves. The problem is, I can't see whats doing it. Could it be slugs? Japanese beetles? Both? Whats the best way to prevent this type of damage - I'm afraid that my very young tree can't stand up to this type of abuse for long!
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whats Eating my Cherry Tree?

Consulting my trusty Reader's Digest "Garden Problem Solver" I see that the only diagnosis they come up with for holes in cherry leaves is caterpillars. Slugs are unlikely in a tree, unless it's really small, and Japanese beetles you would spot easily, particularly early in the morning when they lie abed sluggishly amongst your leaves. However, there are all sorts of bugs that chew leaves. Flea beetles are frequent culprits on small plants. The question is, how ruthless do you want to be about getting rid of them? Gardens Alive has all kinds of organic bug killers and the book "Great Garden Formulas" has everything from hot pepper and garlic sprays to beer for slugs. Just remember that just because you find these ingredients in your refrigerator doesn't mean that they are benign to the helpful bugs that you want to keep around. Good luck! Gotta go, there's a thunderstorm about to burst overhead!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here