Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Protect Pollinators' new license plates

Posted by SammyG 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 24, 12 at 12:28

Hey fellow Virginia gardeners!

Just wanted to make a post for those of you who are interested in/concerned about pollinators (honeybees as well as our native bees, butterflies, hummingbirds, etc.).
We're trying to get a new license plate on Virginia's roads to promote pollinator conservation.
You can see the plate design here:
http://www.pollinatorplates.com

I know what you're thinking- "Virginia already HAS too many plates!" Which may be true, but if Jimmy Buffett can get his own plate, darn it, than so can we.

Ok, but seriously, there are many, many wildlife groups represented on different plates, but no plate that recognizes possibly the most keystone group of all- the pollinators!

The plates are $10 a year- we (those of us working on promoting the plate, and several non-profits with whom I spoke) decided not to do a shared revenue plate, but go with the cheaper version in hopes of selling more plates and getting folks talking about pollinators.

So if you're aware of how important pollinators are, please-oh-please consider getting one of these plates (you have to do it via the website, the DMV won't put them out until we have 450 people signed up for one). If you know others who would be interested, such as gardening clubs, farms, beekeepers, etc. please share the word about them.

Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Protect Pollinators' new license plates

A very pretty plate and it has native plants on it.

Long live the pollinators (otherwise the rest of us won't live very long ...)!

o

I love it! This is one I will sign up for. Any idea how close to 450 you've gotten?

o

I just went to the DMV website and kept getting this message: There are no plates that match "protect pollinators" please try again.

o

Hi!
We're 1/3rd of the way there (151 applications as of yesterday) and have until December 1 to collect them. (We can continue into next year if we don't have enough by December- there are all kinds of 'what if's' in that case, so by December 1 is best :)

collectordi- right now, we're taking pre-sale orders, which means I'm a middle-man for the DMV. They won't be available on the DMV's website until we collect all 450 prepaid applications for the first round of plates.
You can go to www.pollinatorplates.com for more info- there is a 'get your plate' link which should explain the process, and also a FAQ page.
You can also email me at pollinatorplates at gmail.com if you have more questions!

Thanks very much :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Pollinator Plates official website

o

• Posted by cghpnd 7 / Virginia (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 29, 13 at 17:39

I am curious to know what ever happened to the plate?
I'd totally buy one. I was at the dmv about 2 months ago and did not see it.

o

• Posted by cghpnd 7 / Virginia (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 29, 13 at 17:40

I am curious to know what ever happened to the plate?
I'd totally buy one. I was at the dmv about 2 months ago and did not see it.

o

According to information on that blog linked above (and below), the following was posted on July 3, 2013:

an update on the plates- we have 366 applications collected and need 84 before the end of the year. Yay! That's about 14 applications a month needed by the end of December. So if you know someone in VA who loves pollinators, please tell them about this initiative to get them represented in the wonderful world of wildlife license plates!

Here is a link that might be useful: Original blog; applications taken here

o

Hi there and thanks for asking!

We currently have 386 applications and need 64 more to get the plate.

You won't see it at the DMV, because they won't produce the place until I have collected 450 applications from folks committed to ordering it.
If you'd like to order one, the info is here (link is attached); you can download the application and mail it to me at the address provided. Or you can fill out the form on the main page (pollinatorplates.com) and I'll email you with all you need to know :)

Have a great day!

Here is a link that might be useful: How to apply for your plates

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here