Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie gardener here, curious as to what you guys are up to

Posted by TheKitchenette 7a Central VA (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 14, 12 at 13:46

Just discovered the VA gardening forum. I had no idea there were regional forums! I'm new to vegetable gardening, my first transplants went in this past March (broccoli, cauliflower, collards, mustard, spinach, arugula, and kale - only the collards and mustard really flourished). I planted a variety of snap and shelling beans from seed, and I've got 10 tomato plants, 3 pepper plants, 2 eggplants, 3 squash and 1 cucumber planted. So far, I haven't killed anything (that I can tell) so I'm counting that as my greatest victory, until I harvest my first tomato or bean, of course.

Just curious if anyone else is growing veg in VA and what you guys are up to...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie gardener here, curious as to what you guys are up to

Yes, there are many people growing veggies in central VA. I don't have as extensive a garden this year as I have in most years past, but I MUST have some vegetables growing every summer. This year the garden consists of tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, squash, and cantaloupes. Usually there is corn and at least a couple of kinds of beans and several squash varieties along with eggplants, kale, and okra.

For a newbie, you are ambitious! Good luck with your garden!

Sandy

o

Welcome, TheKitchenette!

Lots of gardeners in VA, and lots of veggie gardeners too. I'm in Newport News, southeastern Virginia. Tomatoes, peppers, garlic, cucumbers, basil and other herbs, figs, raspberries, pomegranates, etc.

Here's a link to my blog if you are interested in what other Virginia gardeners are doing:

http://point09acres.blogspot.com/

Happy growing!
Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: .09 Acres

o

Aloha wanabee enslaved to the veggies. Yes we are alive and kickin in Va. I live and love in SW Va. (Snowflake) an am ensnared by a couple of veggie gardens, flowers out the Ying Yang, fruit and nut trees, brambles, and have only just discovered this site. Tickeled to read that you are interested in the wonders of gardening.....one of the few places where you get back what you are willing to put into it. (mostly:) Keep us posted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here