Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pollyanna_68

Lemon trees in Hampton Roads???

pollyanna_68
13 years ago

Is anyone in the Hampton Roads growing a lemon tree in the ground? If so, which type and how is it doing? I live in Cheasapeake and would like to plant one but I don't know anyone who has one outdoors.

Thanks for any feedback!

Comments (9)

• vaplantman
    13 years ago

I remember reading an article from the Virginian Pilot. A guy in Norfolk had an unknown variety of lemon tree in the ground that survived without protection and produced hundreds of lemons. Here's the link:http://hamptonroads.com/2008/11/neglected-lemon-tree-produces-and-produces

• acstraley
    13 years ago

A friend of mine has about 200 citrus trees in his backyard in VA Beach. It can be done. As far as lemon trees, Ichang Lemon would be a good choice to try. Also, my friend gave me a try of cross he made. It is a cross between a Mandarin and that Ichang lemon. Tastes like a lemon, but with no sourness. On the other hand, it is not sweet, either. I have about 20 seedlings of that tree growing and if you would like one, email me at hhod123@msn.com

• linda_222
    13 years ago

Does anybody know if the nursery's around here carry lemon trees, McDonald's maybe?
    I've been wanting to try one, possibly a Meyer's but thought it would need to be a container version....

Thanks

• palmcitrusbananava
    13 years ago

Linda, I was at the big Mcdonalds in Virginia Beach last week and they had 20+ lemon trees. Not BIG ones though they were more like little shrubs. I am going tomorrow so I can look again.

• Jess
    8 years ago

Is anyone by any chance selling lemon trees in Virginia Beach, I'd love to purchase one! :))

• eyeckr
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Lowes on Military highway has Meyer lemons for sale. McDonald nursery has some citrus for sale too. If you wanted to grow one outside in the yard you'll want to grow either an Ichang lemon, Swingle citrumelo, Yuzu, Thomasville citrangequat or some sort of citrange or trifoliate hybrid for it to survive here in Virginia Beach without protection.

• cierraweatherly
    8 years ago

Do you know where any of the outdoor citrus trees you mentioned can be found in this area?

• eyeckr
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I don't know of anywhere locally you'd be able to find one of the trees I mentioned. I used to sell extra trees I grafted in the past. I might be able to graft one up for you if I can find a rootstock and some time. I expect a decent crop from my trees this fall so keep in touch if you want to actually sample what these in-ground Virginia beach citrus fruit taste like. Otherwise you can mail order a tree from McKenzie Farms out in in Scranton, SC. Stan usually has a few of these trees for sale.

• LagoMar
    2 years ago

Pungo Palms nursery in, well, Pungo (Virginia Beach) has many decades-old citrus trees in ground, several edible. They also sell trees. Another grower in Virginia Beach is "Virginia Fruit Grower" (check his youtube page). I do not sell them, but I have half a dozen varieties, some very delicious, including two varieties of satsuma oranges in ground about a decade.

Sponsored