Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cjaneh_gw

Nurseries Panhandle West Virginia

cjaneh
17 years ago

I'm moving to West Virginia in a couple of weeks and am wondering if anyone knows of any good nurseries around the Martinsburg, Harpers Ferry area. I've been to Weber's in the Winchester area and do love it but I thought I'd see what was a little closer to home. I did spot one off of I81 and exit 11 but I didn't get the name and can't get anything to pop up when I google West Va. nurseries. Thanks!

Comments (2)

• aka_peggy
    17 years ago

Hi,

I live just across the Potomac from Harper's Ferry. I'm familiar with a few nurseries just outside the Martinsburg/Harper's Ferry area. Nothing outstanding in the Harper's Ferry/Charlestown area. I'm only recently familiar with Weber's which I found by accident. I don't know Winchester that well and I can't picture exit 11 @ I-81 off hand.

My all time favorite nursery in this area is in Middletown, Maryland. Middletown is less than 20 miles from Harper's Ferry. Surreybrooke is beautifully landscaped in the cottage garden style with koi ponds and display gardens. She (Nancy Waltz) sells a variety of plants, herbs, roses, shrubs, bedding plants, etc...She doesn't have a lot of plants to sell by summer (except trees) but it's definitely worth a trip. She does sell lots of garden ornaments. I often bring non-gardening out-of-town guests there for an outing and everyone just loves it. (see the link)

If you like daylilies, there's a place located on route 67 outside of Boonsboro, Md less than 10 miles from the Potomac River bridge. Frankly I can't recall the name of it and they don't have a website. They have over a half acre of daylilies in every color imaginable. It's a small family operation and they dig the plants for you but you'll have to return a day later to pick them up.

I recently met a lady that lives outside Charlestown, WV that sells irises, lilies and a few other (mostly bulbous) plants from her home. (in fact all these people live on the premises) Long story but she has a relative out west that imports bulbs and tubers from Holland. She doesn't even know the name of some of her irises but she has pictures of many of them. She has some beautiful iries.

Frederick, Md has a couple of nice garden center's and Leesburg has a few. Frederick and Leesburg are about the same distance from Harper's Ferry...22-24 miles. There's also a new farm on Harpers Ferry Rd, off 340 that just opened this summer. They sell a few nursery plants and vegetables and there's a restaurant and produce stand. I've only been there once and they were closed but we were allowed to walk around. It looked very interesting. I'll see if I can get more info it you're interested.

Feel free to email me if you'd like to chat. There are a few other cool places I like for various reasons but it depends on what you're looking for.

Here is a link that might be useful: Surreybrooke

• aka_peggy
    17 years ago

I recently read about a place called Don's Dahlia's. It's in Waterford, Va. I don't know anything about it accept that Don claims to have over 300 dahlia's. I might have to go check that out one day soon.

Here is a link that might be useful: Don's Dahlia's and other interesting places