Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tazebell

my seedlings can't compete

tazebell
14 years ago

Given all the rain we have been deluged with and the shade that has deepened considerably where I keep them, my seedlings that I nurtured along have just not survived. Last night was the last straw when I realized I didn't prepare for the near flood conditions we had and I lost two flats of foxglove, a few delphiniums and and tiny tomato seedlings that couldn't compete with the hard rain or water left behind in their saucers.

My special tomatoes don't seem to ever grow, and today I found a Black Krim broken off in the garden. I started a few more seeds of those a week or so ago but don't know if they will have time to produce and I really looked forward to them especially since you never see those varieties around here.

This makes me upset as we worked so hard with this garden this year. There were the constant rains and cool nights, now this. Why is it the bind weed isn't affected by this weather? Not to mention the critters that were eating the leaves left and right.

Any fellow gardeners in this part of the world have any hints? I will say that the Brandywine (potato leaf) and read cherries have been the strongest so far in managing to stay alive.

And all this rain this year? Where was it last year? Seems my family's grapevine that has a long lineage did not make it this spring. After all these years. Should I just whack it way down and see if any buds sprout?

Thanks gang.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH