Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taxonomist

Exotic trees in Virginia

taxonomist
15 years ago

Has anyone had any success in growing from seed species of the trees: Franklinia, Halesia caroliniana, Pinckneya, or Torreya in central Virginia? I have unconfirmed reports of these being grown successfully in the Norfolk area, but none from the Richmond area Any information will be very much appreciated.

Comments (6)

• bubba62
    15 years ago

I have a Franklinia which grows, blooms, and sets seed every year in Newport News; however, I have never successfully germinated them, despite employing a variety of stratification techniques. I read recently that single specimens may not be self-fertile, so that may be the problem. I also grow Gordonia, but not from seed. I have wanted to try Pinkneya, but I have a shortage of space, and have never heard of its being grown here, even by experienced gardening friends. I do have very large specimens of Arbutus unedo and Michelia figo (aka Magnolia fuscata) which seem perfectly content, so it probably would be growable, perhaps with minimal protection. BTW, seed from these two species germinated with no problem this year.

Here is a link that might be useful: my garden blog

• rian
    15 years ago

Just wanted to thank you for the information on the franklinia! Fascinating tree, I've always wanted one but I've been discouraged by the trouble my next door neighbor seems to have with his. The original finally died. The replacement is not so close to the property line and it seems to be struggling too. Painful subject for him....

Also thanks for the link to your blog. I may have the same cream yellow and burgundy daylily. As best I remember the name is Cherokee but I always had the same problem you do with labeling them. Loved looking at your pictures!

• Filbert
    15 years ago

If you are interested in recommended "Rare & Unusual Trees" in VA you may want to visit http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/envirohort/426-604/426-604.html from the Cooperative Extension Service at Virginia Tech.

Filbert

Here is a link that might be useful: Selecting Landscape Plants: Rare and Unusual Trees

• bubba62
    15 years ago

One more bit of info - I did spot a beautiful Pinkneya growing and blooming at the Norfolk Botanical Garden last week, so there's some evidence that it can do well over there. Even though I'm only a few miles inland, things are not always as hardy here, so I don't know how this would translate for Richmond.

Thanks Rian - glad you enjoyed the blog. Its real purpose is to keep my hands occupied early in the morning with something other than stuffing my face! I've killed one Franklinia and several Gordonias (its evergreen cousin) myself, so I feel your neighbor's pain...

• jorjaboy
    15 years ago

I cant believe i've never heard of the franklinia! I grew up in se Georgia and spent alot of time stompin around the woods and fishing the altamaha. Had I known I would have deffinitely been looking for one. Where can I get one to grow in Portsmouth?

• bubba62
    15 years ago

I got mine at the little plant shop at Monticello in Charlottesville, and I've also seen them at the Va Living Museum native plant sale in May, but the best source might be ebay. There's a company that sells there called Mail Order Natives (I think); I've ordered several things from them, and I think they were listing it at one time. You can pay lots of money for one through Wayside, etc., but I think you can do just as well for a lot less using other sources.

BTW - I grew up in Portsmouth (Churchland area), and my parents still live there.

J

Sponsored