Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
river_city

Anyone successfully overwinter artichokes or cardoons?

river_city
9 years ago

I lost all of my 2 year old improved green globes during the winter, despite the supposedly rated hardiness of zone 7 and above. Through conversation with other local gardeners, I've heard (though my source may be not entirely accurate) that cardoons are (generally) hardier.

Anyone actually successfully overwinter either thistle this last winter? Thanks!

Comments (6)

• Charlie
    9 years ago

I grew 6 artichokes last year and tried to overwinter them by covering them with leaves and a basket in Northern VA, but they all were killed by a winter that got down to 3 degrees and had extended period cold spells. Thomas Jeffeson did it but I was unable to.

• river_city
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I wonder if the artichokes at Monticello survived - I'm not giving up. Trying again with different varieties and planting methods.

• Charlie
    9 years ago

River - I have Thomas Jefferson's garden book and althouigh he mentions growing artichokes, he does not indicate how he overwintered them. I planted "globe artichokes. I believe I have a method that will work. Before the first freeze, cut the chokes back to about 12 inches high. Mound mulch up around them, at least 6 inches high. Cut the bottom from a garbage bagand place a bag over each plant, turning the sides of the bottom of the bag inside forming a circle aroung the plant. Place some rocks on the bottom of the inside of the bag to hold it down. Fill the bag with dried leaves at least 1 foot higher than the plant and tie the top. Cover the entire bag with a tarp or other heavy cover.

• shadygrove
    9 years ago

One person's experience not particularly helpful, but I live about twenty minutes from Monticello--just over the mountain its on--and had no trouble overwintering my artichokes last year. Needed some protection from Spring frosts after the leaves began to emerge, but otherwise, no difficulty. I urge you to try again.

• Charlie
    9 years ago

Shadygrove - How did you provide winter protection, if any?

• shadygrove
    9 years ago

Better late than never, CharlieBoring....during most of the winter, I didn't provide any protection...when we were going to have early-Spring frosts, after it had already started a little leafing-out, just took a big plastic pot, filled it full of leaves and plopped it over the plant at night.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting