Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mlsjmu

Good nursery for trees?

mlsjmu
17 years ago

Anyone have any recommendations for a nursery in VA that sales a nice selection of trees? I am doing some landscape work on a large lot that I eventually plan to build on. I've been removing a number of yellow pines, and would like to replace them with more hardwoods. Most specifically oaks and maples (although I'd consider other options.) The main problem I'm running into though is it seems impossible to find any oaks other than pin, willow, and sometimes a red or two for sale. I'd very much like to find some white and scarlet oaks etc. Also I'd like more options in maples than just the usual October Glory. Anyone know of a place that might offer a better selection? The western/northern part of the state would be my preference, but I'd consider other areas too. Thanks for any help.

Comments (16)

• Brent_In_NoVA
    17 years ago

Have you been to Merrifield Garden Center's Fair Oaks location? They have far more trees than any other nursery that I have ever been to. I would plan an hour just to walk down the rows of trees. They list a bunch of oaks (17) in the online listing, but I am not sure how closely that matches with what they actually have in stock. I am pretty sure they had Scarlets when I was looking around last year. Most of their stock is large and expensive (in the $200+ range).

To see the online listing at the link below, click the "Plant Material" link towards the right of the page.

- Brent

Here is a link that might be useful: Merrifield Garden Center

• mlsjmu
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Brent, I've not yet been to Merriefield's, although I've heard a lot about them. Its a bit of a drive from here (around an hour and a half), so I didn't want to go just to be disappointed in what they may have. If they really have that many options in trees I may have to plan a trip there sometime soon. Thanks again for the advice.

• Brent_In_NoVA
    17 years ago

Your next challenge would then be figuring out how to get a 15' tree home. I try to get to Merrifield a few times a year to browse around, but their prices scare me off from purchasing more than a few things. They have some small display gardens and enough interesting stuff in stock that it is worth a trip.

Mail order might be another option for you. I peaked at Musser Forests (www.musserforests.com) but they only had a few Maples and Oaks (including the Sawtooth Oak that shows up on this areas invasive list). Forestfarm (www.forestfarm.com) lists more oaks than I knew existed if you don't mind your stock being shipped across the country.

- Brent

• spanaval
    17 years ago

If you are willing to mail order, Forest Farm is excellent. I'm having problems with my Adobe Acrobat, otherwise I could check for you, but you might also want to try Arbor Village (http://www.arborvillagellc.com./). Pine Ridge (http://www.pineridgegardens.com/) has a really nice selection of Oaks, and is also excellent. Mind you, none of the mail order ones are going to be large plants, but all these sources provide healthy plants that should establish well.

• mlsjmu
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks everyone for the additional info. I have gone the mail order route before, and don't mind to continue. I've actually had some experience with some of the sites mentioned, but some are new to me (which I appreciate the new sources, thanks). I'm certainly not against mail order, but mainly was hoping for something in the area where I might be able to pick up a few larger oaks, mostly to serve as foundations as some of the smaller ones grow over the next few years. Hmmm, now to see if I could get something of that size onto my truck. Thanks again to everyone for the help.

• vlygrl
    17 years ago

Schreckhise Shrubbery in Weyers Cave has more trees than you've seen at any nursery and for far, far, far less than Merrifield. And don't even get me started on what Forest Farm would charge to ship a tree.

They havea huge selection, nice sized trees, very reasonable prices and everything I've bought there has done very well.

It's a huge nursery and although they have a few perennials they specialize in shrubs and trees.

Where do you live? There are a couple of other places in the valley I could recommend. But Schreckhise would be top on the list.

If you are going to try to transport a 15 foot tree in your truck, make sure you take something to wrap the branches and leaves so they won't get beaten to death by the road wind.

• mlsjmu
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks vlygrl appreciate the source in the Valley as its closer by (I'm near the central section of the Shenandoah National Park/near Elkton), so Weyers Cave is right close by, I may check them out this week. I'm not certain how big a plant I can readily get in the truck, but definitely would check into it, and thanks for the advice, already have a wrap I carry for just that situation.

• mlsjmu
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Actually it just hit me, I've heard radio commercials for Shreckhise before, but haven't heard anything about them for some time. I guess I never really made the connection that they would be an option in the area. Just hearing about them in passing I wasn't sure if they were a retail outlet for the general public, or if it was exclusively a landscaping company. Thanks again, I'll definitely check them out soon.

• creatrix
    17 years ago

If you have places that seedlings would be ok, the VA department of Forestry has a fall sale. Depending on your project, you may be able to get some subsidiy from them. Also, check the VA state arboretum, Blandy Station, to see if they have a plant sale coming up.

Hyla Brook farm is a mail order native plant nursery in Orange Co, I think. Anyway,they have Swamp White Oak and Southern and Northern Red Oaks. And some other interesting native trees.

Here is a link that might be useful: Native nursery

• vlygrl
    17 years ago

The guys at Shreckhise will help you tie up the branches of any trees you buy. I can't recall if they provide any wrapping so it wouldn't hurt to take a couple of old sheets or something. Some places only provide twine and that's not enough protection. As long as you wrap the branches, the trees will be fine and you'd be surprised how big of a tree you can haul in a pickup truck.

For selection and prices and the quality and size of the trees, I don't think there's anywhere you'll find that will be better.

• mlsjmu
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I went by Shreckhise's the other day. Definitely is a nice facility, but they still didn't seem to have many choices in oaks and/or maples. I looked but still didn't seem to be able to find any white or scarlet oaks. Do appreciate the suggestion though, apparently I'm just looking for things outside the mainstream nursery sellers. Anyone have any additional ideas?

• vlygrl
    17 years ago

Try Fort Valley Nursery in Woodstock or Springtime Garden Center in Front Royal. I know the lady at Springtime will order things for you if she doesn't have them in stock and her prices are reasonable (cheaper than Fort Valley.)

• mlsjmu
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion vlygrl. And again, thanks for pointing me to Shreckhise, I definitely would go back again. Just right now didn't seem to have the specific things I was looking for....certainly appreciate your's (and everyone else) advice/recommendations. Thanks.

• jbcarr
    17 years ago

I think your best bet is to find the varieties you want, the size you want, then have your local nursery order it. I have done that a bunch, and it is a lot easier than driving all over.You pay more for the convenience, but its worth it, especially considering gas prices lately.

• babywatson
    17 years ago

Merrifield is great. It may be a drive, but it's worth it. My only suggestion--go on a weekday, if you can.

• lucky_p
    17 years ago

If you're not opposed to mailorder - and small 1-3 yr seedlings(they're not 'instant tree'), OIKOS Tree Crops offers a wide selection of species and hybrid oaks - as well as some other unusual fruiting & ornamental trees/plants that might work into your plantings.

Here is a link that might be useful: OIKOS Tree Crops

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH