Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any good gardening websites or blogs for VA?

Posted by betsntom (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 4, 10 at 22:02

Hi. I was wondering if anyone knows of any good gardening websites or gardening blogs for the VA, DC and Maryland areas. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any good gardening websites or blogs for VA?

I guess it depends where in VA you are. www.centralvirginiagardeners.com I just came across.
www.ext.vt.edu VCE site. A little hard to find info in the new format though.
I believe there also a blog from Dave R at Meadows Farms, not sure of the addy though.

o

I'm in Fredericksburg. My blog is mainly rose gardening, but there's a lot of stuff that's applicable to other gardens in there, too. Just the other day, I blogged about setting up an irrigation line to water my pots.

I also put in stuff about the restoration of our old house, and the occasion antique/junk shop treasure.

Connie

Here is a link that might be useful: Hartwood Roses blog

o

Betsntom, I recently started a blog. It's not much, only a few posts so far. I live in Newport News, VA in southeast Virginia. I have a small yard where I'm trying to grow lots of veggies, fruit, and herbs. It's definitely a work in progress, and so is the yard. Hope you enjoy it.

Here is a link that might be useful: .09 Acres

o

Please visit:

http://www.backyardorganicvegetables.blogspot.com/

This is my blog that I started on Memorial Day this year, after giving it considerable thought. I have transformed our back yard into a micro farm. Today I was looking in the Garden Web and I just found ".09 acres" and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. We are also in the Tidewater area. I began my gardening quest a few years ago, with the support of my wife. I'm retired now, so I have the time to tend to it to my satisfaction.

It's interesting to see that I'm not alone in trying to find other vegetable gardeners in this area. When you look for "gardening", most of the time it's flowers only.

I look forward to reading everyone's vegetable gardening blogs in this immediate geographic area.

One thing about my blog though, I can't seem to figure out how to make the comment section work. It seems tedious to leave a comment with all the info you have to provide. People have asked me how to leave a comment, but I can't tell them. Maybe someone here can tell me how to accomplish it.

Thanks in advance.

veggie_pak

o

I have been writing a gardening blog for several years now about my transition from NYC career gal to Virginia gardener and hobby farmer. My blog is called Get Your Hands Dirty Gardening and you can read it here: http://www.getyourhandsdirtygardening.com

My garden is in south central Virginia, near Farmville- Lynchburg, zone 7. I grow fruit, vegetables, herbs and flowers, and we have about 14 acres of timber (loblolly pines).

Here is a link that might be useful: Get Your Hands Dirty Gardening (blog)

o

I really like tendingmygarden.com. The author is a long-time organic gardener in the northern neck and I have learned a lot from her.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tending My Garden

o

I also like tendingmygarden.com. The author, Theresa, now has a blog about flowers. see the link. both sites offer great advice.

Here is a link that might be useful: flower borders

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here