Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tazebell

Late Tomato Blight

tazebell
14 years ago

Hey, why didn't somebody tell me that there was a huge problem with blight this year? That big box stores had pulled infected plants from their shelves, and even Bonnie Plants are involved? I went out and saw what looked like, well, it's hard to describe. I had the most beautiful tomato plants that are now wilting and covered in these funky dark spots. Those spots don't go through the stem, just the outer layer but is this the dreaded blight? I can't believe I spent all that time this spring growing these plants from seed.

Comments (10)

• tom_va
    14 years ago

Welcome to long periods of wet weather.

We've lost virtually all of our tomatoes and it seems they "go" in a day or two.

• rdback
    14 years ago

Yep. That long, wet, cool Spring we had just about ruined everything. Our tomatoes actually have Early Blight, which takes a little longer to kill them. Late Blight gets them in just a few days.

Join the Tomato Misery Crowd.

Rick

• tom_va
    14 years ago

We now have lost 'em all---even the green ones we picked that did not have any spots went bad in two days. Guess we had close to 400 plants out.

Oh well, guess there is always next year.

Regards,

Tom

• tazebell
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry to hear that guys. In a way, it makes me feel less alone in my misery. It's just sickening to look out there and see the vast nothingness that once held such promise!

We had just gone out and done some Florida weave (which I like) and some staking when this funk was noticed. And it was by the next day or so that it was dreadful.

So what do we do now with the ground and stakes, even the blue mulch I was using (to increase production. ha)? Do we have to somehow 'sanitize' the stuff or just let it dry out once the 'mater mess is cleaned up? I would like to plant some late season varieties or at least overwinter all those pots of daffodils and tulips I kept in the garage last winter and tended to forget about watering.

One thing I am contemplating is going to the local produce market and buying a case of those "tennessee tomatoes" to put up for the winter, because I am wondering just how pricey or hard to find some tomato products might be. Of course they won't be anything like all those special tomatoes I was growing - some heirlooms and several blacks, and those cherokee purples. Maybe next year, you say Tom?

Finally, I was talking with a guy at the pop shop about this mess (everybody has been hit here) and he compared this weather to Vietnam when he was there! We should have planted rice, perhaps?

• hankg_gw
    14 years ago

Tom, Where are you? I'm still Late Blight free just east of Front Royal. I started spraying as soon as I heard of the early spread of the disease. I have lost many plants over the years, but I can't even imagine a wipe-out. Hank

• tom_va
    14 years ago

If you'll google "tomato late blight in ground" you'll get a lot of info. They recommend destroying the plants and the main "carrier" of the spores seems to be potato vines if I read correctly, and I admit I didn't look closely. The outbreak was VERY wide spread and if any SINGLE plant has it, it produces tons of spores so it is kinda hard to keep everything looked at.

I don't think you'll have to sterilize anything but double-check the articles to be sure.

Buying tomatoes might be tricky this year. I may call the local Amish market down in Giles county to see about tomatoes if we need to can much. I did call them about cucumbers. Tazebell, I'll gladly give you the number for them if you want it. It would not be an overly long drive for you.

Of course next year....I'm a farmer---->there ALWAYS is next year :-)

You didn't get over to the g/h this season did you? Was looking forward to meeting you.

Regards,

Tom

• tom_va
    14 years ago

I'm not close to you; I'm in southwest VA close to where
    I-77 and I-81 cross.

Where late blight is a problem, I think the growers have to spray weekly to help keep it in check.

But we've had plenty of other stuff out of the garden so it COULD have been worse :-)

Regards,

Tom

• machette
    14 years ago

I am about an hour west of Tom VA, and the blight hit me to. Yes, it is everywhere! :( I have been studying a bit of chemical free gardening, and I have noticed that I have done a few things correctly and a few things incorrectly this year to protect my plants from the blight. Correctly in that, when I water my tomatoes, I only spray the water hose toward the roots, not the whole plant. I was incorrect in that I like to water in the evening so the water has more time to soak in, when I should have been watering in the morning to help them stay dry. etc. etc.

Being a small gardener, next year I am going to separate my plants all around my back yard.

I do not remember the article or have the link now, but I did save an excerpt from an article that I would like to share... Good luck to everyone next year.

ps. I have never raised Ferline and Legend tomatoes, so can not comment on their reputation as mentioned below.

How to prevent tomato blight

This fungal infection is caused by wet or damp conditions and effects the leaves first. If growing outside provide some kind of shelter for your plants if possible. Wet leaves are ok for a few hours, but over-night in cold conditions followed by another wet day will lower the plants defenses.

Ferline and Legend are supposed to be blight tolerant - that is they have a greater defense against blight than other varieties.

Suggestions to follow:

* Keep tomato leaves dry - provide some shelter from the rain if possible.
    * Water in the morning to that plants are not stood in excess water overnight.
    * Remove some of the lower leaves (by pulling off - not cutting) if they show signs of infection.
    * DonÂt touch leaves of plants and spread the disease on fingers.

• kurtiskouns
    7 years ago

hey guys,

im in southern WV (west virginia) and i think blight has hit this area too. pretty bad.

this is my first year to be at the lead of the garden as my grandfather passed and i moved in to take care of granny,

any ideas for things to put on the blight?

in my case, being a newbie gardener i was told it may not be blight, as its only the leaves turning yellow with black "burn" marks... and stems yellowing. nothing on the tomatoes (yet).

i try to go organic but would rather save the crops and use a pesticide or something like that if need be.

thanks any help is appreciated..

sorry to jump in the virginia board... I'm only 40 minute from the border..... ;)

• wcthomas
    7 years ago

So far the only late blight reported in WV is in Walla Walla county up north. See http://usablight.org/map to keep track. You may have another of the many diseases that tomatoes are subject to. Late blight is the worse - total wipe out within a week!

TomVA

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative General Contractors