Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Autumn Planting

Posted by daisychain_9 Virginia (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 30, 08 at 10:25

Hello all! I am a brand new gardener (this will be my first planting) and I am moving to a new house on August 1st. I would like to plant some things in my new backyard the following week. Is there anything that I can plant for the autumn season (I would like to plant flowers mostly) that will bloom? I believe that I am in Zone 6 (Eastern Loudon County). Also, is there anything that I should plant in the fall to have it bloom in the spring? I plan on planting gardenias, bluebonnets and some other flowering bushes maybe. I also like tulips and lilies. Any advice on "beginner plants" and tips are very much appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Autumn Planting

Many of the big box stores are slashing prices so you might want to visit some and see what you can find. Also Costco and I assume their competitors carry bulbs in the fall inexpensively. 50 bulls for under $15.00. You might want to look for a dogwood or redbud for spring and if you find any perennials slashed buy them and see what soil conditions they need and when they bloom. Do your homework after.

o

Gardenias aren't really beginner plants in our climate. They will break your heart! There is a reason you find azaleas everywhere in eastern Va. The soil and weather make them feel right at home here. Tulips are great but they sometimes peter out after a few years while daffodils will bloom reliably and increase until you need to divide them. Lots of animals find tulip and lily bulbs tasty--nothing eats daffodils, not even deer. Sedum Autumn Joy is easy to grow and looks good in all seasons. Lots of people have them and they grow easily from cuttings. You would probably have to wait more than a year for peonies but they are tough and drop dead gorgeous! If I were you I'd plant at least one bare root this fall.

Just a few random thoughts--welcome to Virginia, Daisy.

o

Be careful of what you buy from the big box stores. Many of their plants are excellent but it's not at all unusual for them to be so stressed from lack of water and care that they will die before they have a chance to get established. Check to see if the plant looks healthy and green, look for signs of insect or disease infestation, be sure it's well watered and not root bound. These things should help assure you get good plants. Being a beginner, you might be better off to go to a reputable nursery and ask for help and advice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here